21 Life Lessons I'm Glad I Learned BEFORE Turning 21
Life Stages

21 Life Lessons I'm Glad I Learned BEFORE Turning 21

Life lessons I've learned before my 21st birthday.

695
Lauren Davis
Lauren A Davis

It's Scorpion season and my birthday is coming up; the big 21! I'm honestly so excited because it's such an eventful age; I will now be able to legally buy alcohol. I've lived almost 21 years and through my life experiences, I've learned so many things about myself and just life in general.

Here are 21 things I have learned before turning 21:

1. It's OK to put yourself first.

You shouldn't feel guilty for putting your needs above the needs of others. It doesn't make you selfish because the only person taking care of your body and your mental health is you.

2. It's OK to say no.

You don't always have to accept an offer or a favor someone asks you to do. It doesn't make you a bad person. So often I felt the need to please others that I would take my needs for granted.

3. It's OK to say yes.

On the other hand, you don't always have to say no. When I did theatre, we played an improv game called "Yes And.." This game taught good cooperation and the acceptance of other people's ideas. Saying yes can bring you many opportunities.

4. Don't dwell on the negatives.

Life is always going to be full of ups and downs and if you only focus on the negatives, you're not going to see the positives.

5. Make time for the things that matter to you.

If something is important to you, whether it's a person or hobby, make sure you always devote some time to them or the activity.

6. Build relationships.

Establishing connections with people is a beautiful thing. You'll meet some of your best friends or you'll meet people who were put in your life for you to learn lessons from. Regardless of the reason that someone ends up in your life, it's always for a reason.

7. Step out of your comfort zone.

You don't want to look back at your life with regrets because you didn't do something when you had the chance to. If everyone stayed in their comfort zone, there wouldn't be nearly as many successful people in the world.

8. Never settle.

If you don't like the way someone is treating you, tell them. Don't accept anything less than what you deserve.

9. Friendships come and go.

It sucks to lose a friend, but if that friendship was draining both physically and mentally, it's OK to cut those ties for your health. If the relationship isn't bettering you as a person, it may be the time to let it go.

10. It's OK to not know the answer.

No one knows the answer to every single thing and that's OK!

11. Do what you feel is right.

Don't feel like you have to make a decision based on how it will make other's feel unless that's the decision that makes you feel good, too. The only person whose input really matters is you. If you feel that you did the right thing, then you did.

12. It's OK to show your emotions.

Vulnerability is always seen as a weakness, but it shows that you have emotions and are human. Pretending to always show no emotion does more harm than good because you bottle up everything inside you and one day, the bottle of emotion is going to overflow.

13. Take naps!

In a world where it seems like everything is constantly moving and fast, it's easy to feel overwhelmed. The solution to that is simply taking a nap. Naps are a great way to refresh and recharge your mind and body.

14. Confidence is key.

It doesn't matter what you're wearing or how you look, as long as you feel confident, you're unstoppable.

15. Always be willing to learn.

You should never be the smartest in your friend group or you'll never be learning anything. Take time to read, whether it be a book, an article or even news on social media. Educate yourself on what's going on in the world.

16. Save your money!

I'm terrible at this but I'm slowly getting better. It's always good to have money on hand in case of emergencies or just simply because you want to treat yourself, or others.

17. It's OK to ask for help.

Many people are afraid to ask for help. No one knows the answer to everything and no one can do everything by themselves.

18. It's OK to be alone.

I used to hate being alone but now I love it. It's a breath of fresh air to just be alone and have the time to focus on yourself.

19. Treat other people the way you want to be treated.

This is the Golden Rule of life. It doesn't matter how someone treats you, as long as you're treating them well. That's the only thing that matters in the long run.

20. Treat yourself.

You deserve that extra slice of cake, or splurge and buy a pair of shoes. You should never feel bad about doing things that will make you happy.

21. Know your worth.

Drake said it best in his song 0 – 100, "Know yourself, know your worth." No one knows how much you matter except you. Never feel like you need the approval of others to feel validated. Always remember that there is only one you in the world and that's for a reason. You are worth so much more than you know!

Happy birthday to me!