21 Things to Add to Your Minnesota Summer Bucket List

We're not just the land of 10,000 lakes, ya know!

14675

Summer is coming up, and if you are like me, you are wondering what you are supposed to do for the next three or so months. Wonder no further! Here are 21 ideas to get your summer bucket list started!

1. Enjoy a night of music at the Lake Harriet Bandshell

Enjoy the nice weather and the beautiful sunset by taking a walk around the lake followed by some live music at the bandshell.

2. Rock out at Boom Island Park at Rock the Garden

It will take place on June 18, 2016. Get your tickets here.

3. Adele's

Whether you just got done spending the day on Lake Minnetonka or are really just craving something cold, Adele's Frozen Custard is the place to go!

4. Matt's Bar

This place is a must! If you are not sure what you want for dinner, check out the home of the original Juicy Lucy. You will not be disappointed!

5. Vali-Hi Drive-In

Feel like watching a movie? How about three movies for the price of one? Vali-Hi drive-in movie theater is located in Lake Elmo, MN and is the perfect spot for both date night and family fun!

6. Visit the Jolly Green Giant statue

This Jolly Green Giant is a highway highlight for anyone travelling through Blue Earth, MN. Who wouldn't want to take a picture with this happy green man?

7. Basilica Block Party

Get lost in a one-of-a-kind festival that provides an unparalleled music experience for everyone in attendance. It will take place on July 8-9 and features Death Cab for Cutie, American Authors, X Ambassadors, Matt Hires, Cold War Kids, The Fray, Matt Nathanson, Ron Pope and so much more.

Click here for more information!

8. Take a walk around Lake Calhoun

Or grab some Punch Pizza from Calhoun Square, have yourself a little picnic, and maybe play a little pick-up game of volleyball with your friends.

9. Oake on the Water

What is better than live music? Live music with a beautiful view! Soak up the summer sun with your friends on the decks of lakeside restaurants all over the Twin Cities every Thursday from 3-6pm.

10. Grab some Izzy's ice cream

This place is THE BEST. They have a wide variety of flavors that are perfect no matter what tickles your taste buds! If you are torn between two flavors, don't fret! Every scoop of ice cream comes with a tiny scoop on top, called the "Izzy".

11. Walker Art Center

They have free admission on the first Saturday of every month, where families can enjoy beautiful art, as well as hands-on-art-making from 10 am- 3 pm. They also have free admission Thursday nights from 5 to 9pm! If you are up for it, you can even play Skyline Mini-Golf on the rooftop of the Walker.

12. Take a walk on the Stone Arch Bridge

The Stone Arch Bridge is 2100-feet long and is the only bridge of its kind over the Mississippi River. From its picturesque views on the west side to the shops and restaurants on the east side, the Stone Arch Bridge has so much to offer!

13. Hit up the Gay 90's

The Gay 90's is one of the best nightclubs in Minneapolis! Inside of the one building there are six different bars, so you are sure to find one that fits you! Gay 90's is 18+ every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday and every third full weekend of the month! Why the hell not!?

14. Take a day trip to Duluth with your friends or family

Duluth has so many things to offer and is the perfect place to go to get away for a day or even a weekend! There are cute little shops and a lot of beautiful views, including the Aerial Lift Bridge and the Duluth North Pier Lighthouse.

15. Visit all of the beautiful waterfalls

Okay maybe not all of them, but a visit to at least one is a must for any summer bucket list! My personal favorite, the one pictured above, is High Falls at Grand Portage state park.

16. Go to a Twins game

17. The Big Yellow Barn

Satisfy your sweet tooth at Minnesota's biggest candy store in Jordan, MN. They have thousands of different types of candy, both international and regional. They also have an extremely large selection of sodas, jerky, bacon, pies, jams, and thousands of jigsaw puzzles. If heaven was a place on earth, this would be it!

18. Go cliff jumping and swimming at the Quarries

The Quarries at Quarry Park in St. Cloud, MN is a hotspot for daredevils and swimmers alike. On a hot summer day, it is not rare to see a bunch of people lined up on the rocks waiting for their chance to get their thrill on.

19. Visit the Minnesota Zoo

Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my! The Minnesota Zoo is home to over 4,000 animals, split up over eight exhibits. From waddling African Penguins to gargantuan grizzlies, this zoo has it all!

20. Walk around a few of the many charming main streets in a small town

Take a trip a walk down one of the classic American main streets that the charming Minnesota downtowns have to offer. With their homey cafes, unique boutiques, and tree-lined streets, this is a perfect way to spend a summer day! Check out Excelsior, Nisswa, Stillwater, or Ely, just to name a few!

21. Head over to "The Great Minnesota Get Together"

The State Fair is a highlight of everyone's year! The fair has over 450 different types of food served up deep-fried, on a stick, in a bucket, and the list goes on. The birthing barn is always a hit along with the Midway, which houses all of the fabulous rides and attractions that the fair has to offer. Last but certainly not least, the Minnesota State Fair hosts many popular artists at the Grandstand. This year's lineup includes two nights of the Dixie Chicks, as well as Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas!