I Spoke To A Class Of 2020 Senior From Penn State, And Graduating During A Pandemic Is Bittersweet

You can't control what happens to you, but you can control how you react.

68
EveryPixel

I interviewed my friend, Daulton who graduated this semester while in Quarantine from Penn State. We have been friends for a few years, and I wanted to get his perspective on the virtual disturbance aspect of his senior year. I was excited to ask him some questions because I value his perspective and advice moving forward.

1. Where did you graduate from?

"Penn State!!"

2. What has it been like spending your last semester under quarantine amid the coronavirus pandemic?

"To be honest, I have mixed feelings about it. I had a great four years with my friends and I feel sad that I did not get to spend a normal semester with them going out to our favorite bars, but it was time for me to move on in my life and during quarantine, it led me to plan my life better, giving me more time to apply for jobs without distractions. Thus, I graduated with a bittersweet feeling of missing my shelter that was my education and starting my life in the real world."

3. Of all the things you missed out on because of quarantine, what has been the hardest to accept?

"The hardest to accept was that I did not have time to prepare. I am a planner and when things are sprung upon me like that, it was hard to accept the fact that I couldn't plan around it or plan for it. I've learned to accept it regardless so right now what I can control is my job search."

4. What has been a silver lining?

"The silver lining has been personal growth of myself. This quarantine/lockdown period has taught me that I need to be more patient with my life and that it would be more beneficial to be more go-with-the-flow and take things day by day. As opposed than being on a fast track as I was before."

5. What have you done to make up for some of the graduation traditions you aren't able to do?

"My parents set up a "drive-by graduation" where my friends and family lined up and gave me gifts and said happy graduation to me in lieu of a graduation party."

6. What are your next steps, and have they been impacted by coronavirus?

"My next steps included interviewing for a job in New York City, but that is currently halted and I have had a few interviews since."

7. What is the worst thing someone can say to a Class of 2020 graduate?

"'Happy Graduation' because it's not a happy one.

8. What is one piece of advice you would love to give to the class of 2021?

"For 2021: be prepared for anything. Besides COVID, I wasn't prepared for my senior year at all."

9. What about the last few months do you think you'll remember most?

"How stir crazy I have gone."

10. What would your advice be for incoming freshmen at Penn State?

"It is okay to say 'no'; meaning that you don't have to take every opportunity that comes your way. Sit down and think about it."