The Highs And Lows Of The 2019 Oscars

The 2019 Oscars: This Year’s Whirlwind Of Unexpected Highs, Lows, And Everything In Between

In some ways the 91st Academy awards went as expected, but in other ways they completely went against what was predicted to happen.

14

I love movies. I believe that film is a supremely important art form because it can be utilized as a means of conveying some of the most important messages and themes relating to current issues. Film has power because it threads us all together, and when done properly, may even be able to enact necessary change.

The Oscars are important because they honor what are supposed to be the best films of the year. The mass public is fed what films are supposed to be the most moving and important through the Oscars. If the proper films are picked as the most celebrated at the Oscars, then the most meaningful messages will be consumed by even more people. Through a unified message planted in the brains of people across the nation, perhaps the message will come to fruition and help to change the current political and social climate.

Spike Lee won his first non-honorary Oscar! Lee has been waiting to win an Oscar after 30 years of nominations and "snubs" by the academy. His "BlacKkKlansmen" won Best Adapted Screenplay. It is just gratifying to see someone deserving of such an award finally win it after decades. However, I do think that "If Beale Street Could Talk" should have won over "BlacKkKlansmen." It had a similar message that I believe was conveyed more effectively. Also, the cinematography was more effective and interesting to me than that of "BlacKkKlansmen."

However, 'Beale Street' did get one win. Regina King won Best Actress for 'If Beale Street Could Talk' which I believe was well-deserved. She was great in the film and gave an emotionally-stirring performance.

Another high is that 'Roma' won 3 awards. Alfonso Cuarón won Best Directo for 'Roma' and 'Roma' won Best Cinematography and Best Foreign Language film. These are all well-deserved. Alfonso does such a good job of recreating the setting of his childhood and really establishes the scene well with intriguing shots and editing. I also love the little scenes that he chooses to add that only add to the development of the setting, such as a scene where the main character goes and watches a huge group of men training martial arts.

However, I think that 'Roma' should have also won Best Picture.

Out of all of the films nominated 'Roma' was the most effective as a whole.

I enjoyed 'Green Book,' which won, but there is also controversy surrounding the film and I honestly feel a bit guilty for even liking it. There is controversy over Viggo Mortensen, the lead actor in the film, saying the n-word at a Q and A for 'Green Book.' There is not really any reason for anyone to ever say that word, especially if they are starring in a film that is meant to somewhat improve racial relations. I also sort of felt like the film was made about black people for white people. As in, I feel that it was meant to placate white people for any residing guilt they may feel about racism and slavery. It is a little too picture-perfect. It especially should not have won when there were other films that came out last year that much more effectively conveyed messages about race relations, such as 'Sorry to Bother You,' a film that was not nominated at all and should have been, and 'Beale Street.'

'Roma' better established a setting, time period and way of living than 'Green Book' with its beautiful shots.

Perhaps in later years, the Academy will finally start awarding pictures that actually deserve to win.