It's 2018 And It's Time To Prioritize Your Relationships

Even if we are late to the game.

200
Saksham Gangwar

Happy New Year!!! It is finally 2018 and it is time that we start to prioritize our relationships, focus on the important ones and get rid of the negative and toxic ones. Maybe you aren’t like me and you have already done this, but if you haven’t, it is time that you and I do this together. I realized that this was a need for 2018 after being in therapy for the last three months and finally learning that not all relationships are worth the hassle and you shouldn’t be the only one trying in the relationship.

The hardest part is choosing what relationships are worth fighting for and which ones aren’t worth fighting for. Trying to figure out who is toxic and who isn’t, I know this isn’t always the easiest and I am going to give you some tips on how to figure that out and while these may not apply to all toxic relationships it does apply to most of them.

Signs that the relationship is meant to be left in 2017 with everything else we all want to forget: the other person in the relationship is always trying to start problems for no reason, they make up lies just to start fights, they make you feel bad even when you have done nothing wrong, you always find yourself trying to justify yourself to them. These are just a few of the signs that your relationship is toxic. I don’t mean just relationships with a boyfriend or girlfriend I also mean friendships that are toxic and even friends that you think would never be toxic can be, never did I think that I would have a toxic relationship with my GBig in my sorority and she is the first toxic relationship I will be leaving in 2017.

You may think that this is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do because you might think they will change, reality check, they probably aren’t going to be changing anytime soon. I am also here to tell you that although it may seem like one of the hardest things in the world to do right now, you will be so much happier in the end because you no longer have this toxic relationship that you have to spend so much time on dragging you down, instead you can focus on your relationships that are the most important with the people who are going to support you and help you through your toughest spots even when you are being completely stupid and making mistakes.

Find your people who will hold your hand through all the bullshit, all the hard times and also all the wonderful times, find people who you can make memories with that when you look back at them in 10 years you are still able to laugh about it. Find someone you would want your future children to be friends with or to date. If you look at your friends and say I would never let my children be with people like you then maybe it’s time to reevaluate your relationships and start leaving some in 2017!

Here is to you, because you got this and you deserve so much better than that kind of toxicity in your life! Leave them in 2017 and go find yourself some new friends who are going to support your wildest dreams and be there even when you fall and hit rock bottom.