2017 Will Not Be A Year of Missed Opportunities

Learning from the mistakes of 2016.

26

I have spent a good portion of my life regretting things that I should have done, but was too afraid to do. For someone who is prone to overthinking, every decision is a monumental hurdle to get over. Most of the time I end up going with the easiest decision, with the safest decision, but, as 2016 has taught me, that is not always the best decision. Since entering college I have found that each decision holds more weight than before, whether it pushes me toward a new career path, toward new friends, or away from people I would have liked to get to know.

1. Take a class that is outside your comfort zone

This past semester, I signed up for a freshman seminar called "Space of Modern Thought", which was characterized by how difficult it was to explain to friends, family, and classmates alike. In short, the class explored the impact of the concept of zero on "modern thought", whether that be in the form of literature, art, philosophy, astronomy, or mathematics. Going into it I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but it turned out to be my favorite class of the semester by far, and I am infinitely glad that I chose to take a chance on it.

2. Talk to someone you have been meaning to talk to

You know those people. That cute guy in your English class, the girl you see every day in the dining hall who just seems really cool and you want to be friends with. This even applies to people who you have known for a long time, whether that means a close friend that you have been meaning to catch up with, or someone you grew up with that you never really got to know as well as you would have liked.

3. Apply for that dream job/internship

What's the worst that can happen? You don't get it, but you can always try again next year. Take the time to visit your school's career center, or to do some research online. Contact people who have jobs that seem interesting to you, and ask them for the inside scoop about what working in their field is really like. Your dream job could be closer than you think, but you won't know unless you start to pursue it.

5. Join a new club

Want to further expand your friend group? Want to try something new? Joining a new club can help you find out what you're interested in, and be a great way to make new friends. Colleges offer so many opportunities for students to explore their interests and meet like-minded people, so don't let those resources go to waste. Having a new set of people to meet with once a week and a fun activity to supplement your schoolwork is an excellent way to start making the most of 2017.

4. Accept the invitation

This one mostly applies to people like me who would much rather stay in and watch a movie than socialize most nights. It can be good to go out sometimes, you never know who you will meet or how much fun you will potentially have. Say yes to the date, mark the facebook invite as "going", and follow through when a friend suggests you get coffee and catch up. I've regretted not going to things far more than I have regretted going.