2017 Is For The Girls

2017 Is For The Girls

Good god, I know. The girls? For 2017? Who would've thought?
5

Ever had that thought at the end of each year: Yep, this next year is going to be my year. I'm going to take it on by storm, I'm going to own it. It's going to be great, but then you find yourself down the road a year later saying the same old phrase? Me, too. I think it happens to everyone. Which is why 2017 has a new spin on that same old phrase. Instead of just this is my year, why not this is our year? 2017 is for the girls.

Don't act too surprised or appalled by this. It's about time we have a year that we can dedicate to ourselves and ourselves only. We've been through enough, so give us a break and cut us some slack.

2017 is for the girls, whether you like it or not. So hop on board or take your actions and thoughts elsewhere, please.

2017 is for the girls because we can be whatever we want to be, and we aren’t gonna let it get in the way of anything.

2017 is for the girls because I think it’s time we all no longer take sh*t from anyone and know our worth. Know that we can have that job, know that we can write that paper, know that we can be the boss, know that we can own it. Know our worth, because we are worth it.

2017 is for the girls because we are sick and tired of men being so inconsiderate of our feelings. We aren't some rag doll that you play with at daycare, and we sure aren't worth enough to only be called once you hit the bottom of the bottle, so why, why, why, do we always seem to be treated so poorly and not have our worth being seen?

2017 is for the girls because we're better than that. One of my favorite quotes comes from Grey's Anatomy S10: "Don't let what he wants eclipse what you need. He is very dreamy, but he is not the sun. You are." 2017 is for the girls because we are the sun, and nothing less.

2017 is for the girls because every year prior to it has never been a thing. 2017 is for the girls because we're making it a thing.

2017 is for the girls because we are confident and positive enough to make it so. We don't need a significant other to make us happy. We can find content within ourselves, a relationship doesn't and never will define us.

2017 is for the girls because we all have such a strong bond within us, whether we like it or not. It's for the girls because we're finally at the point of #girlpower, and can be friends with whoever we choose to, and cut the toxic ones from our lives. So let's build on these friendships and make this bond stronger than any other in this entire world, let's focus on it. 2017 is for the girls because we have each other and don't need anyone else.

2017 is for the girls because people have too high and unrealistic expectations for us. My god, so-and-so steps out in sweatpants, a fashion crime. No. She's not wearing makeup? What is she thinking? Again, no. I think my favorite so far was when Kendall Jenner stepped out, fresh face, and a small breakout on her face and the whole world went mad. We're all people, and we all have breakouts, nothing new here.

2017 is for the girls because we're not going to settle any longer. A quote that I've found comfort and solace in comes from the woman of pop, Taylor Swift: "she lost him but she found herself, and somehow that was everything."

If you’re not happy with your relationship, leave it. If you’re not happy with a friend or your friendship is toxic, leave it. You don’t like what you’re going to school for? Change it. You don’t like your hair? Spice it up. You want to travel? Book a flight. You want to go out and party? Put some water, Advil, and crackers on your desk for when you get back, you might need it. Quit holding yourself back from the things you want and love to do. No one is stopping you. Find yourself within thos things you love, and be you.

2017 is for the girls because we are single-handedly the greatest and most empowering people on this Earth. Boys, men, anyone who is offended by this, think about how you got here, think about where you are, and just stop. You wouldn’t be here without us women, so why don’t you just take a seat.

2017 is for the girls because men just don't quite know how to treat a woman these days. Cheating, lying, excuses, "things," "just talking," not committing, what has this dating world even come to? None of us have any time for that, and we're not going to wait around any longer. So while you all pick at the "weak" thread that you so call a woman, we'll be over here sewing it back up, making it stronger, sturdier and neater than ever.

2017 is for the girls because we deserve it. We finally deserve some time to focus on ourselves. Set our goals, achieve them, own them. Tell that person how we feel about them, whether it’s a friend, family member, or a love interest. Take risks. Don’t sulk around and wait for the problems to be resolved on their own. Do what's best for you. Own 2017 because it's your year girl, and don’t let anyone tell you differently.