2016 Superhero Movie Preview

2016 Superhero Movie Preview

Which one are you most excited for?

25
2016 Superhero Movie Preview

2016 is going to be the year of the superhero. If you're a fan of these types of films, then you're surely in for a treat this year. Over the course of the next 12 months, there will be seven major superhero flicks from three major studios. Marvel will be bringing us "Captain America: Civil War" as well as "Doctor Strange." DC offers up "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" along with its super villain team-up, "Suicide Squad." Finally, Fox Studios will be giving the world the gifts of "Deadpool," "X-Men: Apocalypse," and "Gambit."

Each of these films will have their own unique takes, and will be sure to draw plenty of attention. So without further ado, let's dive into these films a bit more in order of release.

"Deadpool" Feb. 12, 2016

This is sure to be a bowl of fun, being the first major superhero film to be rated R. For our generation, we grew up with the likes of Spider-Man and Batman films, all in the PG-13 rating. While this rating allows for humor and action, "Deadpool" will step things up to another level.

Simply put, this is not going to be your typical "superhero" movie. The comedy is going to be crude, but laugh out loud funny. Ryan Reynolds brings the perfect personality to the character and this is sure to be a blast.

If you've seen the two redband trailers and enjoyed them, you can expect more of the same and look forward to February. If you saw those trailers and were not laughing, then you may want to skip this one, as it is an acquired taste. I for one have this one in my top three for the year, and am really looking forward to seeing Ryan Reynolds getting another shot at fighting some evil.

"Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" March 25, 2016

After having a month to digest "Deadpool," DC drops its much anticipated film that will see two all-time favorites go head to head. Ben Affleck makes his first appearance as Bruce Wayne, and Batman's first appearance post-Christan Bale. While the two title heroes are likely to be going against each other, there is another evil lurking in the background.

His name is Lex Luthor, played by Jesse Eisenberg. A lot of people have criticized this casting, but I have to say, I think he is perfect for what they are going for based on the trailers. It seems they want a young, cocky, and arrogant businessman who grows power hungry, which Eisenberg has shown he is very well capable of, based on his work in "The Social Network." I may be in the minority here, but he is the main reason I am interested in this movie.

Not to mention there is the potential for our first glimpse of what kind of mind games Jared Leto's Joker (more on him later) will be playing with Batman. There is plenty within this movie to grasp the audience's attention, and will provide the second major building block for the DC universe.

"Captain America: Civil War" May 6, 2016

April will pass, and bring on May, the month all Marvel fans are waiting for. This is the film I am most excited about (Marvel just knows how to do their movies right in every single way). Captain America will square off with Iron Man with Bucky Barnes, aka, the Winter Soldier, right in the middle of things. Bucky will be squarely on team Cap, but much of the conflict will revolve around him based off the first trailer.

They will be joined by a host of other superheroes from the MCU, with Thor and the Hulk being the only two exceptions. This movie is set to change the landscape of the MCU, and also serve as an introduction to more characters.

Our third Spider-Man, played by Tom Holland, will debut in this film. It is unknown how big of a role he will play, and I truly hope they keep that secret. I don't want to see a glimpse of our new MCU Spidey until I am sitting in the theater on May 5 for the Thursday preview.

Ant Man riding on one of Hawkeye's arrows, Scarlet Witch facing off against Vision, and Black Panther outrunning Cap, are just a few things to look forward to. Oh, and there's that scene where Cap and Bucky beat down on Iron Man (see end of trailer one). This film will not disappoint, I guarantee it.

"X-Men: Apocalypse" May 27, 2016

What could be the final time we see this cast of X-Men. This finishes the trilogy with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, James McAvoy as Professor X and Michael Fassbender as Magneto. If you enjoyed the previous films, this one will be right up your alley.

I for one enjoyed the one scene that featured Evan Peters' Quicksilver breaking out Magneto from high security prison in the last film, and am extremely excited to see what he will do in this one. He brings a humor to any character he plays and typically steals the show in any scene he is in.

While Hugh Jackman hasn't been confirmed for the film, one can always hope he makes a cameo. This could actually be the second Wolverine cameo if he also appears in "Deadpool."

"Suicide Squad" - Aug. 5, 2016

Usually I only get this excited for Marvel movies, but boy am I pumped for this one. File this one under "not your average superhero movie." After several summer months, DC brings together a group of bad guys who are turned into a sort-of team. They will be sent on a mission to stop either the Enchantress or the Joker.

The Joker is one of the primary reasons this movie carries so much interest. When I first heard Jared Leto was cast, I thought there was no replacing the late Heath Ledger. Ledger was the Joker to me, and one of my all time favorite movie portrayals of all time. I thought there was no way Leto could live up to the role.

And then I saw the trailer. And oh man did it change my mind. First of all, it's probably one of my favorite trailers of all time (as are the "Deadpool" ones). Secondly, the last line Leto's Joker delivers to end the trailer convinced me he is going to play an amazing, and different Joker.

And the Joker is just the tip of the iceberg. Will Smith is playing Deadshot, and Margot Robbie is playing Harley Quinn. Every aspect of this movie looks dark, gritty, and amazing. If "Civil War" was not coming out this year, this would be my most highly anticipated film of the year, hands-down.

"Gambit" Oct. 7, 2016

I'll be honest, I don't know much about this film. Channing Tatum will play the title hero in a film set in the same universe as the X-Men. Channing Tatum usually brings a solid amount of humor to his films (see "21" and "22 Jump Street"), so I look forward to more of the same here.

My main hope for this film is that Jonah Hill can find a way to make an awesome and hilarious cameo.

"Doctor Strange" Nov. 4, 2016

Marvel launches its next adventure with a bit of magic. Benedict Cumberbatch joins the MCU, meaning we are one step closer to a Robert Downey Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock Holmes joke that I am so looking forward to. Though it probably won't happen here since Robert Downey Jr. is not likely to appear.

This could be the film that introduces the next infinity stone as well, with the time stone likely to appear. Based on pictures from Entertainment Weekly, it could very well be in Doctor Strange's necklace.

There is also the outside chance we get another Spider-Man appearance, as Tom Holland was on the Doctor Strange set. Add in the fact that this will be the most mystical and out there Marvel film to date.

Rankings and Predictions

Needless to say, I am excited for all seven of these films. So which one tops the list, and which is at the bottom? Here is my list with a prediction for each film.

1. "Captain America: Civil War" - Cap gets killed at the end
2. "Suicide Squad" - The Joker kills at least two members of the Squad
3. "Deadpool" - Deadpool drops at least 40 words that start with F, Hugh Jackman cameos
4. "Doctor Strange" - The time stone is introduced as the Eye of Agamotto
5. "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" - Lex Luthor is the best part
6. "X-Men: Apocalypse" - Quicksilver steals the show again
7. "Gambit" - Jonah Hill cameos

So which film are you looking forward to the most? Are you excited for Iron Man taking on Captain America? The new Joker? Deadpool cracking jokes?

Tell us in the comments!