Lessons To Remember As 2016 Comes To A Close

I hope you find what you are looking for in 2017.

12

So many of my friends have taken to social media to say that they are excited for 2016 to come to a close. I've seen a number of posts and memes about 2016 being an awful year. My friends and family have experienced heartbreak this year and for that, I'm truly sorry.

However, 2016 was hands down the best year of my entire life.

I'm not saying every day I woke up and life was great. 2016 was great because I made the best of it. I took care of myself, I surrounded myself with good people and I worked on different aspects of my life. It was a challenging but rewarding year. Everything came full circle for me.

I took care of myself.

My goal of 2016 was to take care of myself. I started eating healthier. I incorporated more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I eliminated many of the unhealthy aspects of my regular diet. I was on a routine workout schedule. I typically went to the gym three or four times a week. I went to bed earlier because my body craved rest. I eliminated some unhealthy habits I maintained. I took care of my skin. I listened to what my body needed. By taking care of myself, I became more confident than ever. I watched myself change and grow.

I worked on my relationships.

I reached out to friends I hadn't seen. I focused on my relationship with the person I loved. I worked on communicating better with my parents. I made time for the people in my life that mattered. I even made some new friends along the way. I eliminated people who longer brought me happiness. I only surrounded myself with people who uplifted me. My friends, family, and loved ones are the reason I had a record year. I'm grateful for them each and every day.

I trusted in God's plan.

Some days I didn't understand. I struggled to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I questioned God's plan some days. But I never gave up. Even on the worst days, I found something to smile about. I truly believe that God placed people in my family's life for a reason. Some people were temporary, others were here to stay. Some even came back into our lives. The best relationship is the one that you share with God. Once you strengthen that relationship, only good can come from it.

I'm sad to see 2016 come to a close. I have many memories and photos that will last a lifetime. I pray for the health, happiness and success of my friends and family. I pray that 2017 is just as great, if not even better. I was blessed in 2016 and I hope that each and every one of you finds what you are looking for in the new year.