A Simple Hello Can Change Your Entire Life

Finding My Person

33

As I am writing this, it is day 245 of 2016. In these short 245 days, a lot has changed. There have been a lot of firsts, a lot of lasts, and a lot of surprises this year. My life has been a whirlwind this year. From new relationships, breakups, new friendships, there has been a lot of come and go from January to now.

When 2016 started, I had high hopes this would be the best year yet. I mean, I was starting my senior year in the fall, I attended my first prom, and that meant I was only a year away from that diploma and a handshake. As 2016 went on, I realized that this may or may not end up great, but I knew my life would change forever.

I did attend my first prom on April 22, 2016.

I became legal to watch rated R movies at the theater on July 20, 2016.

I had my last first day of high school on August 15, 2016.

However, there was one event that happened that changed my entire life. In early January of this year, I started talking to someone, we'll call him Sam. Just friends at first, and then Sam realized this wasn't the best time, so we stopped. A few months went by, we didn't talk. Then in mid-March, I received a text from Sam. Just a casual text, which led to casual conversations, I didn't think anything of it. Spring break rolled around and we had plans to see each other, they didn't work out, so we tried for the next weekend. Those plans ended up working out, we went to dinner, bowling, and hung out with a couple of my friends.

By the end of that night, we were a couple. Things were great, I had a gut feeling Sam is the one. Sam is my person, my absolute best friend, my other half, my rock. My life without Sam would be incomplete, and it was for awhile. Around mid-May, things took a turn for the worst. We didn't talk for nearly a month, it devastated me, but Sam needed space, needed time to clear his head, to think. Looking back on it, I understand it now, I, myself am a very needy person. I need constant attention, not for any psychological reason, I just love having someone to talk to. Eventually, the days went by, and I received a text from Sam. I kept asking, "Are we still together?", and I could never get a clear answer. So one night, I had to make the ultimate decision to call it quits, thinking I would be giving my heart a break doing that; I was wrong.

I was crushed. I tried moving on, I tried finding someone else, but I couldn't. No one could give me the feelings Sam did. I knew in my heart I loved Sam, and he was the one. The person I wanted to marry, build a life with, have a family with, who I wanted to come home to every night and wake up to every morning. I was determined to get Sam back. The weeks went on, and we didn't speak. One day, Sam's name popped up on my phone. My heart started racing out of my chest, I was nervous, I didn't know what Sam was going to say.

Sam said, "Hey I know I'm probably the last person you want to talk to..."

He wasn't. I had been dying to talk to Sam.

I missed Sam so much. Going from someone being everything to not talking to them at all was hard. I still had Sam on my Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, everything. It was hard seeing a post and not feeling emotional. Things didn't suck for long, though. Towards the end of June, beginning of July, we started talking just as friends again. It was so hard at first, not being able to say "I love you" or to tell Sam how I felt. This went on for awhile, until we both got used it, and it wasn't weird anymore.

Slowly, talking as friends turned into something more. We were back to flirting constantly, all lovey dovey, everything was just like it used to be. Then, talking turned into even more. I'm so ecstatic. My world is finally right again. I love Sam with everything in me. Sam is my world, my person, if you will. I see everything in my future, done with Sam. From getting married, starting a family, exploring the world, planning for retirement, everything.

2016 will forever have an impact on my life.