20 Songs From Summer '08 For Your Summer '18 Playlist

Nostalgic songs at their finest.

113
YouTube

One of my favorite things about the summer is jamming out to old playlists with friends.

You know those playlists you made in junior high, but never listened to again once you got to high school.

Well how about we look at one of those summer playlists. One from ten years ago.

So here's 20 2008 Throwback Songs for Your Summer Playlist.

1. "Dangerous" by Kardinall Offishall ft Akon (Song)

Ah summer songs. The land of the one-hit wonders. This song was a party staple for summer '08, and then the song and the lead artist vanished.

2. "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry (Song)

The arrival of Katy Perry as a star was also a very... interesting song. While I don't endorse it, if you're going for a VERY wild summer, this song is a go to.

3. "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz (Song)

What's a summer playlist without some chilled-out grooves. This song just sounds like a relaxing summer song, and that's why it was huge in 2008.

4. "Disturbia" by Rihanna (Song)

This song, especially the music video, was ridiculous. That said, it was a huge hit in the summer of 2008, which is why it's so good for a throwback playlist. This whole list has a nostalgia aspect, but this song is a standout.

5. "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis (Song)

Speaking of massive hits from summer '08, this song was EVERYWHERE during the early part of the summer. Despite being released at the end of 2007, it didn't really start to blow up in the U.S. until early 2008, which put it in a position to be one of the early songs of the summer.

6. "Shake It" by Metro Station (Song)

This song just flares up out of nowhere. Like it was big for a few weeks in 2008, then randomly flared up for a bit a few years ago. Still, if we have the chilled-out grooves, then there's room for some angsty stuff.

7. "Low" by Flo Rida ft T-Pain (Song)

No summer 2008 playlist is complete without the club anthem of the year. "Low" was a banger that started the trend of Flo Rida dropping a track for just about every summer, but this one is still the biggest.

8. "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay (Song)

The intro on this song alone could make this list. "Viva La Vida" made Coldplay cool for a summer.

9. "Leavin'" by Jesse McCartney (Song)

This song kinda highlights a trend of the summer of 2008 because most of the hits were more emotional, angsty songs than anthems and club hits. That said, this song is great and is my favorite Jessie McCartney song, mostly due to that summer.

10. "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne ft Static (Song)

While this song may not be known as a "summer song," it was a huge hit in the early part of the summer of 2008. This is one of Lil Wayne's most underrated songs, and it actually a good party song for the summer.

11."Pocketful of Sunshine" by Natasha Bedingfield (Song)

This song is so happy and bubbly that it makes a great summer song. This song is borderline infectious, and the summer needs songs like this to brighten up your day.

12. "This is Me" by Demi Lovato ft Joe Jonas (Song)

A product of the end of the Disney Channel Original Movie era, Camp Rock is a critically panned move that audiences loved. This song is the climatic song of the movie, and is really great summer song. Maybe it's the camp aspect, or maybe it's the big empowerment feel, but this song from summer 2008 is a great song for summer 2018 as well.

13. "Forever" by Chris Brown (Song)

During the era where the Chris Brown was at his peak star power, "Forever" was huge, and was turned into a gum ad. Those Doublemint Gum ads were as everywhere as the song was. Still, a high energy song and bubble gum, that's definitely summer enough for me.

14. "Take a Bow" by Rihanna (Song)

Now we are back to the emotional side of summer 2008, but this song was just so good. I also remember there being a really good Glee cover of this song, but Rihanna's version was a huge hit that dominated summer '08.

15. "Closer" by Ne-Yo (Song)

Another pop song from a summer full of them, Ne-Yo gave us one of the better higher energy ones. Ne-Yo brought the energy with a summer song that doubles as a love song. A solid "summer lovin" anthem.

16. "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles (Song)

"I'm not gonna write you a love song'cause you asked for it/'cause you need one, you see
I'm not gonna write you a love song/'cause you tell me it's make or break in this/If you're on your way/I'm not gonna write you to stay/If all you have is leaving I'ma need a better reason to write you a love song today, today."

17. "Rockstar" by Nickelback (Song)

I know it's supposed to be cool to hate Nickelback, but this song is just so much fun. It's a great sing-along song for any occasion, and the summer needs songs like that. This song really peaked before the summer of '08, but it was still relevant throughout the summer.

18. "No Air" by Jordin Sparks, Chris Brown (Song)

Nothing says 2008 like Jordin Sparks. While she had some hits after 2008, her peak was the end of 2007 going into 2008. This song was huge during the summer of '08, and become the anthem for some couples going into their senior or freshman years.

19. "American Boy" by Estelle ft Kanye West (Song)

With summer being the main time for people to study, or travel, abroad, this song is a good summer hit for those foreign romances. American boy was a huge hit in 2008, and it carried on through the summer. Just like Estelle, however, it pretty much vanished after the year was over, but Estelle's kinda comeback, so maybe this song can too.

20. "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock (Song)

Because of course this song needs to be on here for a summer '08 playlist. This song is just a celebration of summer, and any good playlist needs it.