20 Things To Do In Our Nation's Capital This Summer

Whether you're in the area for an internship or if you're just visiting, this is your definitive guide to Washington, D.C.

73
Residences at CityCenterDC

Summer is amazing time to be in Washington, D.C. There is so much to do and see; what’s great is that a large amount of it is free. Whether you’re interning in Washington, D.C. this summer or just stopping by for the weekend this guide will help you plan your visit.

1. Visit the Smithsonian Museum.

The Smithsonian Museums are some of the best in the country. Because they are funded with tax payer dollars they also have free admission which is a great plus for anyone who is visiting town on a budget. Although the museums can get crowded during tourist season, which happens from March to October, these museums are worth the frustration. There’s something for everyone and they are a great place to visit with family, solo or on a date.

2. Have lunch in Union Station.

Union Station isn’t just for those headed out of town. The historic station is over 100-years-old and has great shops and restaurants for everyone. What’s really great about Union Station is its convenient location. Not only is Union Station a stop on the metro red line it is also walking distance from the National Mall and the Capitol Building.

3. Tour the Capitol Building, the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress.

This fabulous trio is a must do for anyone who appreciates government. Many tourists flock to the one of a kind destinations, and each tour is truly a one of a kind experience. It is better if you book ahead so you actually get a guided tour. During the busy parts of the year these tours can fill up fast. It is best to contact your congressman about four weeks before your visit so they can handle booking these tours for you. You can also book the Capitol Building tour online. The Supreme Court and Library of Congress guided tours are offered on a first come first serve basis at certain times throughout the day.

4. Take a walk down the National Mall.

The National Mall is an incredible open space in Washington, D.C. Home to many of the Smithsonian museums, the monuments and Capitol Hill, this is a must stop for a visit and photo-op. Start at either the Capitol Building or Lincoln Memorial and stop at monuments and museums along the way. Be warned, its two miles from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol Building, a walk that can take some time especially when you’re taking in all the nation’s history.

5. Visit the monuments and memorials.

Because Washington, D.C. is our nation’s capital it is home to many monuments and memorials that commemorate our nation’s past. My personal favorites are the Martin Luther King (MLK), Jr. Memorial and the Washington Monument. The MLK Memorial is one of the newer memorials on the mall. It features a large stone sculpture of MLK and some of MLK’s more memorable quotes. The memorial is located near the Tidal Basin near the center of the National Mall. The Washington Monument is the tallest structure in Washington, D.C. It is the largest stone monument on the planet and it’s an amazing thing to experience up close. On top of getting to see this cool monument it is located on a hill and provides great views of the National Mall and White House.

6. Rent a paddle boat and get a great view of the Tidal Basin.

Many people often rent paddle boats near the Tidal Basin for a unique view of the Jefferson Memorial. The Tidal Basin is especially beautiful during cherry blossom season in early April. This is when the cherry trees, that were a gift from Japan, bloom and the Tidal Basin becomes a pink blossom wonderland. Any time of year is a great time to paddle across the Tidal Basin to get a completely different perspective of the monuments and memorials that are nearby.

7. Ride the elevator to the top of the Washington Monument.

Taking the elevator to the top of the Washington Monument is an experience I have not yet had, but will later this summer. I recently booked my ticket for the first day available in late July. That being said this is something that needs to be booked ahead of time. From the people I know that have had this experience, the views from the top of the Washington Monument are mesmerizing. If you’re in a pinch and really want to take the ride, then visit the Washington Monument Lodge at the eastern end of the monument to see if there are any tickets available for the day. Tickets are distributed on a first come first serve basis.

8. Go to the zoo.

The National Zoo is another incredible adventure you can embark on in Washington, D.C. The zoo is located in Woodley Park in the northwest part of D.C. and is easily accessible by public transportation and car. The zoo can be a full day trip or just a few hours. I highly recommend going to see the famous pandas, and because the National Zoo is a part of the Smithsonian it is also free.

9. Visit Mount Vernon.

Mount Vernon is located a half hour south of D.C. is an incredible step back in time at the homestead of our nation’s first president. Although it costs about $20 to get into the estate, Mount Vernon is a great experience as you can walk through the entire estate and down to the Potomac River waterfront. Included in your admission is presentations done by the staff about life in the late 1700’s, admission to the education center, and a tour of Washington’s mansion. There are also unique add on tours such as a National Treasure tour and a tour of Mount Vernon by boat. If you’re looking for a day trip that is full of history, then Mount Vernon is definitely a good choice.

10. Check out the U Street corridor nightlife.

U Street is one of the up and coming areas of D.C. and is well-known for its thriving night life. Whether you’re interested in a rooftop bar or an underground rave, U Street is the place to go.

11. Take a boat tour or dinner cruise.

With the Potomac river bordering the western edge of the city boat tours and dinner cruises are available almost every day. Whether you are looking for a good view of the monuments from the river or a high class dinner for you and your significant other, enjoy a nice view of D.C. from the river.

12. Visit Embassy Row.

As the Nation’s Capital, Washington, D.C. is home to many of foreign nations embassies. Although not all of them are situated near Dupont Circle on Massachusetts Avenue. Take a walk down Massachusetts Ave. and experience all of the different nations that our country maintains diplomatic ties with. Depending on the embassy, you may actually be able to visit, especially if you are a citizen of the embassy you wish to visit.

13. Visit the flea and farmers market at Eastern Market.

Eastern Market is a section of D.C. just east of Capitol Hill. Home to many row houses Eastern Market is a really great place to live and to shop. The flea market takes place every Sunday and hosts hundreds of local artisans and crafters. The farmers market takes place inside the Eastern Market (the building the area is named for) every day.

14. Visit King St. in Alexandria.

Alexandria is just a short metro ride away from D.C. Another area with rich history, Alexandria is home to King St.

King St. is in the Old Town section of Alexandria and has a cobblestone street that runs from the metro stop to the waterfront. Home to the famous market and a lot of restaurants and shops, this is a great place to visit for an evening out.

15. See a show at the Kennedy Center.

The Kennedy Center is the main arts venue in D.C. and is named after President John F. Kennedy. Filled with hundreds of seats the Kennedy Center has hosted concerts, plays, musicals, ballets and comedy shows. Free shows are featured on the millennium stage. Tours are also offered of the entire Kennedy Center on a first come first serve basis. Reserved tours can be booked through your congressman.

16. Go the National Archives.

The National Archives is another great museum. It features the original Constitution and Declaration of Independence and has incredible exhibits on the history of our nation. The line to get in can wrap around the building, so it is best to try to get a timed entry ticket ahead of time.

17. Try out the metro.

Whenever I go to a city, I try out their public transportation. Right now isn’t exactly the best time to be visiting the metro as D.C. is currently performing a long-term maintenance plan that is causing delays. However, the metro is a great way to get around the city and is a lot cheaper than taking a taxi.

18. Visit the Newseum.

The Newseum is one of the newer museums in D.C. Although admission is $22.95, your ticket is good for two days and you definitely need more than two days to see everything inside. During my visit, I particularly enjoyed the 9/11 exhibit which showcases the reporting that was done on 9/11 and hosts an antenna that was on the top of one of the Twin Towers.

19. Visit your congressman and / or senator.

Above I talked about how you can schedule tours of various D.C. hotspots through your congressman. On top of that, you can also take the time to visit your congressman’s and / or senator’s office. Although the congressman and / or senator may not be able to see you, the staff in the office will greet you and you can typically put your name in a guest book. Some people feel comfortable about just walking in, in that case feel free to call the office ahead to tell them you will be stopping by.

20. Watch the fireworks on the National Mall on the Fourth of July.

What’s more patriotic than celebrating our nations independence in the center of the National Mall? Every year thousands flock to the National Mall to celebrate the Fourth of July. Although it can get a bit crowded the firework show is worth the wait. There is also a free concert that takes place on the steps of the Capitol building. So grab your blanket and get there early to get a good seat on the grass. Also, make sure to bring a lot of water as July in Washington, D.C. is typically hot and humid.