20 Things That Will Turn 20 In 2018

20 Things That Will Turn 20 In 2018

1998 was 20 years ago, but it feels like it was just yesterday.

515
20 Things That Will Turn 20 In 2018
flickr

It's hard to believe that is has been 20 years since 1998. So much happened that year in politics, entertainment, and so on. The computer age was rising, pop had taken over the music world, our president was lying on TV, and Shang Li was making a man out of all of us. Here are some thing that happened in 1998 -- all things that will turn 20 this year!

1. Britney Spears’ music career.

In September of 1998, the world was blessed with Britney Spears’ hit song “Baby One More Time”. Today, it is an anthem for all 90s kids, and everyone’s favorite karaoke song.

2. Google.

Let’s be real: what would we do without Google? Google started off as a sweet little search engine, and today it is almost as powerful as Amazon. In the last twenty years they have created Google Drive, bought YouTube, and created their own line of electronics like the Google Phone and Google Home. Who would have thought that this little website that helps you find information would be as important as it’s become today?

3. Harry Potter.

In 1998, America was introduced to the little boy wizard in his first novel "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". This book was the start of a seven book series with movies that followed.

4. Furby.

This creepy little talking bird robot was the hit toy of the year. They were cute, but terrifying.

5. Elmo’s World.

We all remember that last 10 or so minutes of "Sesame Street" where a cute little red monster and his goldfish played a crayon-drawn piano and talked to a mute guy that lived in the window. It was low-key creepy, but it was truly the best part of the show, and the theme song could get stuck in your head for hours! La la la-la, la la la-la, Elmo’s World!

6. iMac and the beginning of things starting with “i”.

iMacs were colorful Apple desktop and laptops that started the Apple line of products that started with the letter “i” – iPod, iPad, and so on.

7. Mulan.

Many 20-somethings today are really into Asian culture because of this movie, and it introduced us to the line, “Dishonor on your cow”, and the best Disney song ever – “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”.

8. Shania Twain’s "Come on Over" album.

"Man, I Feel Like a Woman", "You’re Still the One", "You Don’t Impress Me"… so many great hits even a country hater can love.

9. Gameboy Color.

Gameboy had been around for most of the 90s, but in 1998, Nintendo released the Gameboy Color, which took the handheld video game console to a whole new level. Aside some being sold in various colors, the Gameboy Color featured a colored screen, rather than the black and gray pixels we had seen in the original Gameboy.

10. Pokémon: Gameboy Games.

Everyone who had a Gameboy in 1998 had all of the Pokemon games. The series of games were released by color – yellow, red, blue, gold, and silver.

11. Will Smith’s “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It”.

Na na na na na-na-na. Na na na na na-na!

12. Spyro the Dragon.

Spyro was, and still is, our favorite little purple dragon."Spyro the Dragon" was released for PlayStation in September of 1998, and was the first of three games released for the original PS system. You visited various lands, collected jewels, released dragons, and rammed (or blew fire at) the bad guys all in the hopes of killing Gnasty Gnorc at the end of the game. And, don’t forget about Sparks – Spyro’s cute lil’ dragon fly helper!

13. A Bugs Life.

"A Bug's Life" is our favorite movie about bugs helping bugs defeat other bugs. Flick is an inventor who messes everything up when he accidentally knocks the offering for the grasshoppers into the water – angering Hopper – the “head grasshopper”. Flick asks for help from some circus bugs he meets to defeat Hopper and his gang. I haven’t seen the movie in a while. That’s what I remember from it. That, and the fat caterpillar saying, “They’re a bunch of poo-poo heads!”, because, he really was the best part of the movie.

14. MP3 Players.

When we think 90s we think Discman, but in January ‘98, you could purchase The Audible Player for just $200 USD. Later that year, the Diamond Rio was introduced, as well as the HanGo Personal Jukebox.

15. TRL.

"TRL" (or Totally Request Live) introduced the world to Carson Daley, and was honestly the last time we ever really saw a music video on MTV. The show was canceled in 2008, but has recently been revived, bringing back the music aspect of the music channel.

16. The loss of Frank Sinatra.

giphy.com

On May 14, 1998, the world lost one of the greatest musicians of all time, when Frank Sinatra died of a heart attack at the age of 82.

17. Will & Grace.

Our favorite show about gays and their spunky female friends aired in September 1998. This was the first show to feature gay characters. Many of the episode looked into LGBTQ issues, and was a huge stepping stone for the LGBTQ community. Despite criticism, "Will & Grace" became a "Must Watch" show on NBC Thursday nights, and went on for nine seasons.

18. President Clinton’s Impeachment.

He did, in fact, have sexual relations with that woman. And something having to do with taxes I think.

19. The Parent Trap (w/ Lindsay Lohan, obviously…).

It was the movie that featured some type of crazy mirror effect camera that turned Lindsay Lohan into twins Hallie Parker and Annie James. It took me years to figure out that Miss. Lohan did not have a British twin, and I still don’t fully understand how this effect works, but it was a good movie non-the-less.

20. My little cousin Tommy.

Born March 18, 1998 – Tomas was the first little baby I watch grow into an adult, and I couldn’t be more proud of him.

Where are they now?

Britney Spears has released several new albums in the last twenty years, married Kevin Federline, had two boys and a mental breakdown, and made the greatest comeback ever. She recently just finished doing some shows in Vegas, and continues being a true pop princess. After seven books, JK Rowling closed the "Harry Potter" series of books and movies, but hasn't stopped writing novels. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" came out in 2016, and was, in some way, connected to "Harry Potter"(I'm not into the whole Potter thing, so, forgive me). Furby made a comeback a few years back, and was still as creepy as ever. "Mulan" is still every 90s feminist's favorite Disney film, and a live action version is in the works, and we could not be more thrilled. Gameboy was kicked aside by hand held consoles like the PSP and Nintendo DS, and "Pokmon" made a comeback in 2016 when smartphones everywhere began catching Pokémon in "Pokémon-GO". Will Smith became a huge movie star, Spyro released two more games, and MP3 Players turned into iPods -- yet another "i" product released by Apple. "TRL" ended, but made a comeback within the past year, but it just is not the same without Carson Daley. "Will & Grace" ended in 2006, but was revived in 2017 for a few episodes. Lindsay Lohan stared in "Mean Girls", went off the deep end, and never really recovered. Bill Clinton had the chance to become First Gentleman, but the ending to that story is worse than his impeachment. Frank Sinatra's music is still listened to today, and Ms. Twain released some new music and is going on tour for the first time since "Come On Over" was released.

Tommy is a sophomore in college and is studying to be a pharmacist.

Oh, and Google? If you don't know about Google, you've been living in a box for 20 years.

90s kids aren't kids anymore. They're all grown up now.