20 Things SUNY New Paltz Students Learn In The First Month

It's truly a place not like any other.

371
Carly Eden

SUNY New Paltz is truly a place like no other. It is a school that thrives on originality. As a new student, it doesn't take much time to learn that, and it can sometimes be a bit of a culture shock depending on where you come from. I am a transfer student, brand new to this campus, and in the three weeks that I've been here I've learned a lot about this community. If you are a student at this lovely school, you will probably understand the 20 things I've just learned, too.

1. Strangers here are super friendly.

It’s really surprising and uplifting how many people will say hi to you on your walk to class even if you don’t know them.

2. The pond is a great place to spend time.

On a sunny day the water is crystal clear and you can see the fish and little turtles in their home. The pond is surrounded by beautiful weeping willow trees– a perfect place to sit under and relax or study.

3. The ducks are the best.

The New Paltz pond is home to a colony of friendly ducks.

4. The buildings are beautiful.

There are the original buildings from the school’s first start that have been totally redone on the inside with beautiful air-conditioned classrooms. We have the beautiful brand new Wooster Science Building, and the newer dorm halls are gorgeous with their own gyms in the basements.

5. Our campus is covered with art.

Take a walk through campus and you will see some form of art. It’s a beautiful way to start your morning.

6. You will want to learn how to skateboard.

Walking around campus will actually make up a big portion of your day, and it can sometimes be a hassle. It’s easy to be jealous of the skateboarders who zoom right past you with so much style and ease. Walking can be nice though, when it gives you extra time to look at the beautiful nightly sunsets.

7. You can wear whatever you want.

You can literally wear whatever kind of style clothing you want, and no one will look at you twice. It’s a great excuse to try new things and see what your true style is.

8. There’s so many ways to get involved on campus.

There are so many clubs and organizations here that it can make you wonder where exactly you should begin. If you have an interest, there’s probably a club for it.

9. The food is either really good, or really bad.

Our food court has a sushi place, Crazy Bowls, pizza, and everything else under the sun that’s actually pretty good. The Roost has amazing breakfast sandwiches and there’s two Starbucks' on campus. Our buffet-style dining hall definitely can be a hit or miss and you may sometimes regret using Dining Dollars there.

10. You need to put aside a lot of time if you want food.

Being a Long Islander who frequents the city, I’m used to being rushed through a food line and I really like it that way. Here, the staff is much more laid-back and ordering food can take some time. It’s important to allow some time to wait.

11. Coffee is available everywhere.

Coffee is sold in at least 5 different locations on campus. The people in charge really understand the college lifestyle.

12. There are no water bottles on campus.

They no longer sell plastic water bottles to reduce waste. Yet, every other drink is sold, which is a bit odd. A few days into classes you will realize that you need to carry your own water around with you.

13. Students are intellectual and will want to have conversations with you.

The people here are really here to learn, which is so refreshing. We are a community of learners who want an enriching college experience, although we do still like to have fun.

14. A lot is expected of you and you need to keep up.

The professors here treat you like adults, and expect you to put effort into your studies. This may be a bit of a shock coming from high school or an easier school, but you soon learn the importance of putting time aside to study.

15. Every door is heavy.

For some reason, you have to put all of your weight into opening the door, so a lot of us take advantage of the automatic door-open button….

16. Differences are celebrated.

Your quirks make you interesting. Here, it’s more about using the resources of the school to make you grow as a person rather than trying to change yourself to fit into the school.

17. New Paltz shows you the beauty of nature.

There are a bunch of gorgeous hiking spots, and you can drive up the mountain to see a birds-eye view of New Paltz. If you love being outdoors, this school is perfect for you.

18. The village of New Paltz is awesome.

We have a little village filled with unique stores and restaurants. There’s always something going on in town, so you will never be bored. You will constantly discover new cafes or markets.

19. You will find yourself frequenting thrift shops and antique stores.

Students love to thrift because there are so many cool pieces hiding in the racks in these shops. You’ll find yourself learning how to hunt for cool stuff on a regular basis.

20. This place is so photogenic.

When you start at New Paltz your Instagram feed gets a serious makeover. There are so many unique spots all over New Paltz, on and off campus, that are great sets for impromptu photo shoots with friends. The scenery and sunsets are gorgeous and you will find yourself snapping photos all the time.

My advice to a student who is brand new to New Paltz is to take it all in and appreciate it. New Paltz really is a cool place that will show you so many new experiences.