20 Things I learned being an undergraduate in college

Doesn't seem like a lot, does it?

610
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/15/636594118204956217-815257518_manhattan-sunset.jpg

I'm currently in my third year of college and it's safe to say that I've learned a lot of unexpected life lessons and much more about myself than I imagined. Here are twenty of the many things I've learned in my three years of college so far.

1. The Choices You Make Matter.

But you already knew that. The way your college experience turns out is COMPLETELY in your hands. Whether you're joining your favorite greek life organization on campus or joining some clubs, playing on your college sports teams, or working full time, it's all about you!

2. Befriend at least ONE person in each class.

This is serious. They can help you with notes, missed class days, or clarifying essentially anything that your professor hasn't.

3. Opportunities disappear as fast as they appear.

Know what you want and what steps you need to take to get there. When a good opportunity arises get ready to jump on it!

4. Set Goals.

Long-term and short-term goals will help you work towards something. Having goals will keep you focused and making a consistent effort to reach that goal.

5. Coffee Doesn't Taste as Bad as it Used to.

Oh God, I hate myself... but when that perfectly prepared coffee hits my lips it's like an out of body experience of pleasure. It's there one minute and gone the next.

6. People Come and Go.

Leave the door open and don't make it hard on yourself. Don't ever ask someone, who will easily walk out, to stay... you're not doing anyone a favor.

7. Making an Effort is cool.

In my freshman year of college, I went out on a tea date (you totally read that correctly) with a guy a few years older than me who said, "caring about people and making an effort is cool even if someone tells you otherwise." It shook me up a bit, but it stuck. It's attractive to both receive and give that effort.

8. Stress Can be Motivational.

For those of you who love having a lot on your plate then you understand me. Safe to say that sometimes the overload of work and expectations suck, but that's what keeps you going because if you stop or slow down, even if it's for a minute, it is going to feel next-to-miserable.

9. Communication is Everything.

It gets hard but it has to be done. Whether it's where you want to eat, how you feel or what has been going on it'll make you feel better and make many situations a lot easier.

10. Spend as Much Time as you can being HAPPY.

Nothing beats sitting in Buffalo Wild Wings with your two best friends talking about the dumbest things you've done - laughing so hard you fear falling out of your chair... Or getting to a party to dance your butt off. When you complete small goals you made for yourself, or surprise yourself doing something you thought you couldn't. The list could go on forever. But keep smiling, keep moving.

11. Surround Yourself with People who make you feel GOOD.

At the beginning of my first year in college, I was 'kicked out' of a friend group who I thought would go to hell and back for me. Of course, I was upset until I realized it was a complete blessing in disguise. All these girls would do was talk down and voice an opinion on everyone, they tried to preach rainbows and sunshine but it only stopped me from seeing the real environment they brought to me. After finding a crowd that practiced what they preached I not only started feeling better, I started doing better in school and in life.

12. Time gets Wasted.

It sucks, it really does... ESPECIALLY when someone tells you that they won't. But there's absolutely nothing you can do when it comes to some situations. Learn from it and just keep swimming.

13. Know that your Actions and Words have Consequences.

Positive or negative you always have to think about where your words and actions will take you or how they will affect the people around you.

14. Express Yourself.

Dress and act the way you want to! There's no reason you should be confined to expectations of you. Be the person that makes you feel confident and comfortable!

15. Talk About How You Feel.

The same way reading your writing helps you process clearer and catch things you normally wouldn't, vocalizing does the same thing. You will feel a lot better getting these little things off of your chest and you'll be able to put together solutions and simplify the way you're feeling and why.

16. Learn More About Yourself.

Time alone is good to get to know everything there is to know about you. Quiet time gives you the opportunity to understand what makes you tick, the things you enjoy, and everything else in that never-ending list of things there is to know about yourself.

17. Water is the key.

As self-explanatory as this sounds, just drink water.

18. Success is not Given, It's Earned.

Only YOU can go out there and get yourself a better job, finish your degree and LIVE YOUR LIFE! Make the best out of it, don't give up because in the end it's all on you to pick yourself up and get yourself to the finish line.

19. Nothing is Impossible.

Whether it's a 5-page paper due in 2 hours or working with $13.29 for the next week until your next payday there's a 100% chance you'll get through it.

On a more serious note, stay positive and keep pushing.

20. It's Not the End of the World.

If it won't matter in 5 years, don't waste 5 minutes on it. Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.