20 Things I've Learned About Love & Relationships In 20 Years

There's a lot more to love than what is at the surface.

27

I'm not a love expert. However, in the nearly twenty years I've been alive, I've had my fair share of romantic relationships. I've had heartbreaks, I've had great loves, and I've had everything in between. In these relationships, I've learned a lot about love that I'd want others to realize.

1. Relationships will come and go quicker than you realize.

2. The boy who only texts you at 2 am doesn’t love you.

3. Your friends will always be here. That boy will not.

4. Unrequited love hurts way more than we realize.

5. Real life relationships are nothing like the movies, books, or love songs make them out to be.

6. In the end, you will be happy in love. I promise.

7. Every relationship, regardless of how perfect it seems, will have its problems.

8. If you find yourself changing to make the person you’re in a relationship with happy, I promise you the relationship isn’t going to last.

9. Don’t have a “type”. Loving outside of your comfort zone will bring you the best kind of love.

10. Communication is key.

11. Never, ever, ever get back with your ex. You’ll end up more broken than you were.

12. We all fall head over heels for someone we can’t have and that’s okay.

13. Never go to bed angry at your partner.

14. You can never predict what will happen in a relationship. There is so much unknown.

15. Love does not have limits on gender, race, political affiliation, religion, socioeconomic status…the list goes on and on. Love does not have limits.

16. Your next relationship will appear when you least expect it.

17. You do not have to love yourself in order for someone else to love you. Everyone who tells you that is a liar.

18. There is a lot more to a relationship than fancy dates and sex.

19. It’s impossible to put a dictionary definition on what is and isn’t love.

20. Fairytale love is bullshit. Happily ever after is bullshit. One true love is bullshit. Love is much more complicated than that.