20 Things You Learn From Growing Up On An Island

1.) You live where people vacation. Expect the extra traffic and limited parking spots EVERYWHERE!

2.) Sunscreen goes on after 10 am whether you're going to the beach or not. Playing outside, swimming, kayaking, anything you do outside requires a coating of sunscreen.

3.) Tourists are the bane of your existence. They leave their trash on the beach for the locals to clean up, and have bad habits of jaywalking across the seawall at the worst possible times.

4.) No matter how gross the canal water in your back yard is, you will swim in it anyway. Brown, Green or Blue you must learn to love it!

5.) Icee's are a meal. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, once the suns out it becomes completely acceptable!

6.) Everyone knows a water horror story, or is unlucky enough to have one of their own.. We all have heard of unusual shark sightings and boats disappearing in the bay, we just pray nothing of the such happens to us.

7.) Your out of town friends help you realize how lucky you were to ave grown up on an island. Endless memories and an endless summer year-round you realize how lucky you are to call this place home.

8.) Just because you live at the beach doesn't mean you can surf.Take it from me.

9.) Shoes are ALWAYS optional. Restaurants, grocery stores, Starbucks, "no shoes, no shirt, no problem!"

10.) You start to become a seafood snob. Living on the coast you can get everything fresh and literally straight out of the ocean. The majority of the restaurants will have some form of seafood which causes lots of competition.

11.) You spend more days at the beach then you do at school. But hey, no one's complaining.

12.) You learn to drive a golf cart at age 8. The beach is only a quick golf cart away, so load up your beach chairs and cruse off to the beach.

13.) You can watch a beautiful sunset from your living room window.

14.) Eating watermelon is always a pastime.

15.) No matter how hard you try to clean your feet after the beach your floors will still be covered in sand.

16.) Instead of fire drills and lock downs in elementary school, we practiced hurricane evacuation drills.

17.) You know the ice cream man by name. Shout out to Dave, you're the best.

18.) Outdoor showers are your friend. Just try it out and you will understand.

19.) During elementary school you take at least 3 field trips to the beach. Scavenger hunts, trash pickup, beach safety, AKA reasons for the teachers and students to spend some time relaxing by the ocean.

20.) You!, reading this right now, you are the reason the seagulls are so fat. Stop feeding them Cheetos!