20 Things Everyone Should Know By The Age Of 20

Cheers to 20 years!

905
Sherrie Eldridge

Ah, 20! To me, birthdays are extremely important, and your 20th birthday is the start of a new decade. In your 20s you'll be faced with way more responsibilities such as purchasing a home, or finally purchasing that car you've had your eyes on since your teen years but didn't have the funds to do so. You'll graduate from college, get a real job, you might get married, and you might have a baby. Being in your 20s is scary because there's a lot to do, but let's get ready for it! Here's a list of things you should know by 20.

1. How to stay healthy

By now you should know that junk food is absolutely terrible for you. Try to stay away from that and eat healthier things. You are getting older after all-- take care of your body.

2. How to make your own appointments

You'd be surprised to know that a lot of people still want their mom to make appointments for them. You're an adult now, make them yourself!

3. How to say no nicely

When we don't want to do something people often make up excuses or beat around the bush, or explode on the person. Say no nicely, you're not a child anymore.

4. How to apologize

This is the hardest thing to do, but it's important. Yes, this means acknowledging when you're wrong too.

5. How to cook a basic meal

No I don't mean dino nuggets or mac and cheese. Parents can't cook for you forever, and you can't possibly buy dinner every night.

6. Know who's there for you and who's not

You've been around for 20 years now. You definitely know what family members are there for you, and the ones that aren't. As well as what friends you can count on and which friends you can't. You should know the top few people that will be there, in case of an emergency.

7. How to clean your house

A few weeks ago I overheard a girl saying that her mom still makes her bed and does her laundry. Wake up, people! By now you should be making your own bed, cleaning your own room, and other rooms in the house. You should know how to do laundry too.

8. How to dress for an interview

Interviews and possibly internships will probably be an important part of your life, and you should know how to dress for them.

9. How to budget/take control of your finances

While it may be the root of all evils, money is important and you should have bank accounts and money saved. Buying is great, but prioritize. Budgets should be something you know very well, as it is there to help you.

10. How to be on time

By now you know yourself, and know if you're slow to get ready to wake up earlier to give yourself time to get ready. If you don't require a lot of time to get ready you should plan accordingly as well. Maybe in high school it was cool to show up late to class and other things, but it won't fly in the adult world.

11. How to be responsible

Stick to your commitments, put your best foot forward, and be mature.

12. Know your priorities

We're literally adults now. You should know what comes first in your life and what doesn't matter. If you're in college, school should be your priority.

13. Know what you want in life

I know this is scary but you should know or at least have a concise idea as to what you want in life. I'm not saying that it should be thoroughly planned because we never know what will happen in life, but if someone asks you "What do you want to be?" you should have an acceptable answer.

14. Be nice

This one is quite simple, yet it's overlooked. We're adults, we should be friendly and nice when meeting people. We should accommodate everyone. No more mean girl drama!

15. How to carry a conversation

Talking to people is extremely important, and you should know how to do it. No more awkward conversations or small talk. Get to know people and speak to them with confidence!

16. Speak your mind

It's okay to have your own opinion, and sharing it without disrespecting others is important to know.

17. Follow your dreams

The sky isn't the limit. Do what makes you happy, and pursue the things that you love.

18. Deal with conflict

One of the hardest things to do, but very important. You aren't a child anymore, you should know how to address conflict. Pouting and throwing a tantrum isn't acceptable anymore.

19. How to fake it, until you make it

You won't ever know everything but if you go with the flow, everything will work out. Ask questions, Google things, just don't give up.

20. Independence

You probably won't live with your family forever so you need to know how to thrive on your own in the real world.

If you're turning 20, use this list as a guide, and like me go into your 20s with a positive attitude and you arms open wide! Here's to being 20!