20 Things I Wish I Knew At 20

20 Things I Wish I Knew At 20

20 things I wish I could go back and tell my 20 year old self to believe.

157
20 Things I Wish I Knew At 20
pexels

I actually turned 21 just last month, so this isn't as if I'm like a decade older at 30 or something and reflecting way back on my 20's. However, I've had my share of experiences as a 20 something year old, and I definitely know what it feels like to be one in this generation. At 20 you're no longer a teen, but at the same time you're not exactly an adult yet (like you're definitely old compared to when you were 16 but you're still not that old)?!? I mean, life can always be a bit confusing right? Here's 20 things I wish I knew at 20.

1. Things will get better.

You will have bad days, maybe even worse days. But just because things seem like it will never get better, doesn't mean they won't. Look at all those times you didn't think things would get any better -- they did, and they will.

2. Your family will always be there for you.

You don't get to choose your overprotective parents, or your frustrating siblings but your family is your one and only family and they will always be a part of who you are. Of course they'll annoy you and drive you crazy (most times), but they will always love you and be there for you.

3. Old friends are important to keep in touch with.

Life happens and sometimes you make new friends and you drift away from people. Don't forget who was there for you and who always will be. Real friends are hard to come by, so treasure your old friendships. I mean, they were there for you even before puberty, and that says a lot.

4. Just because you can stay up until 3am doesn't mean you should.

Sure, everyone says you can sleep when you're dead, but don't underestimate what the toll a lack of sleep can have on your body. You need to stop relying on coffee and energy drinks all the time to stay awake during the day. I would know, sometimes I'd try so hard to keep my energy levels up to only end up crashing and passing out at Starbucks.. It's serious friends.

5. Take care of your health.

The reality is you aren't as invincible as you think you are. Don't drink just to be cool. Eat cleaner. Watch what you put in your body and take care of it because everyone gets sick when they get older.

6. You don't have to have a boyfriend.

I always have encounters where people ask me, "Do you have a boyfriend?" But no, I don't freaking have one. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with you if you don't. I know I still wonder from time to time why I don't have one, because it's only human nature to do so, but I've learned this is not a certain achievement you have to fulfill at this age (or any age really). To my girls out there, stay single until someone actually comes in and makes you better. Otherwise, it's not even worth it.

7. Forgive yourself.

Stop being so sad and beating yourself up over every little thing. You need to be gentle with yourself. Of course, you'll make mistakes, everyone does. But those mistakes do not define who you are. Do the best you can and realize that the only thing you can do is go forward from there.

8. Give out more compliments.

Tell people that you care about them, that they're special to you, that they look beautiful in that dress, that they have a wonderful sense of humor. There's no harm in being kind or putting a smile on others' faces, in fact you're actually helping make this world a better place.

9. Be courageous.

Have you ever thought about talking to someone but didn't? Ever wanted to join something or even do something, but were too scared to try because you were afraid of getting rejected? A little bit of courage goes a long way, don't regret missing out on opportunities.

10. and with that point: Step out of your comfort zone.

Go out on a limb and do something first. Sometimes taking risks is scary, but then other times, it's completely worth it. How will you succeed if you never try? And I'm not saying that being in your comfort zone is a bad thing - it's a good, safe place to be. But with that safeness and familiarity, there's really not much room for growth.

11. Don't be too concerned with others.

Instead, be happy. Be happy with who you are and concerned more with what you're doing. When you are constantly concerned about others or comparing yourself to them, it belittles you and your potential to be even better.

12. Love yourself without apologizing for it.

Be weird, be crazy, be you and don't be sorry. Take pride in knowing that you're the only you in the world. Realize how important it is to love yourself and that putting yourself first shouldn't be something to apologize for. Plus if you don't, then who will?

13. You'll get your heart broken.

In so many different ways. And you'll feel broken and shattered beyond repair. It will hurt like hell. But that's because you care, because you have emotions, because you're human, because you're alive. You'll realize that you're stronger than these feelings of brokenness and that your life will change for the better.

14. When someone acts like they don't care, believe them.

There's a difference between naivety, and stupidity. If someone is not making an effort to show you they care, chances are they really don't. Do yourself a favor, and don't cling onto people like this. Come on - you're so much better than that.

15. Don't be afraid to cut people out of your life.

If the people in your life aren't motivating you or pushing you to be your best or are constantly sucking out the energy in you, why are they still in your life? You don't need people who secretly only want to see you fail and continue adding negative toxins to your life.

16. Don't let the past govern your life.

You need to learn how to let go. The past is something you'll subconsciously never be able to forget, but that doesn't mean you should let it hold you back from your present. Someday you'll look back and you'll understand why things had to happen the way they did.

17. People are temporary.

Not everyone is going to stay forever. I've learned to come to terms with that. People you meet will come and go, and that's just a part of life.

18. Be comfortable being alone.

Go to the movies by yourself. Take yourself out for dinner. You need to learn to be comfortable with who you are. You don't constantly need people around you to reassure you of this.

19. Never settle. Ever.

Don't ever think to yourself "this is as good as it gets for me." No!! If the boy is not treating you with as much love as you deserve, leave him. If the job you have is making you more miserable than happy, leave it. You always have a choice to make a change, so don't you ever lower your standards and settle for anything mediocre.

20. It's okay to not have an answer to everything in life.

You're wiser now than you were at 16, but trust me, you still won't know everything. And that's completely fine. Contrary to what you may think, you're still incredibly young. Don't be in such a rush to figure everything out. You still have so many more years to learn and still have so much room to grow. Just keep being you and trying, that's all that matters.