20 Things To Know Before Starting At Notre Dame of Maryland

Heed the words of advice from current students.

65
via Notre Dame of Maryland University / Flickr

Before you move into the new world of college, you might be searching the internet for different hints on what college is like. However, Notre Dame is special, as a community and in its educational experience. Here are some helpful hints on what you would need to know before beginning your four (more or less) year experience.

1. Don't be afraid to reach out.

College is scary. It's a new chapter in your life. Sometimes you need a hand, academically or emotionally. We have the resources so don't be afraid to use them.

2. Try new classes.

We offer all sorts of classes, whether it's the Problem of Evil, Women Dramatists or Astronomy. There's all sorts of ways to fulfill those gen ed requirements, so why not make it a fun one?

3. Friendships blossom everywhere.

You're going to make all sorts of friends in college, especially on a small campus like ours. Whether it's your lab partner, your neighbor or the girl in front of you in the cafeteria, you'll make a friend everywhere you go.

4. Join a new club or organization.

Every semester, a new club or organization is being made. Don't be afraid to be the one making that club or joining it. You never know how much fun you'll have.

5. Ask around for information on classes or teachers.

Before signing up for classes, reach out to ask other students how the class was or which professor you might like more. With the variety of classes on campus comes a variety of professors. Don't be afraid to find out what route will work best for you.

6. Spend time on campus.

Even though we are right in Baltimore with so much buzzing around, make sure you stay on campus every now and again. Whether you end up ordering out with friends or staying up late playing video games, there's some experiences in college you don't want to miss.

7. Learn about the all-women's advantage.

On a campus like ours, you'll find that the all-female environment is not one to fear, but embrace. You will not find the sisterhood and constant support of women at many other places in life, so be sure to fully accept it while it lasts.

8. Make friends with your teachers.

If there is one thing I will say, it is to befriend your teachers. Whether that means do not be late to class or turn in every assignment or literally befriend them, go for it. Your teachers are great sources of inspiration, support, advice and of course, recommendation letters. Make sure to appreciate them.

9. Learn to love the small class sizes.

If you're from a school where you were a face in a crowd, entering a class of 10 students might startle you. However, the class sizes are only there to help you. It helps to get to know your professors, speak out in class more or even ask questions. You'll also make tons of friends this way.

10. Attend the traditional events on campus.

Notre Dame has many campus traditions and they are all such a wonder to behold. Whether it is Honors Convocation, the Blessing of the Hands, Christmas Dinner, Notre Dame Day or 100 Nights, take the time to attend and learn. Be proud of this legacy you have joined.

11. Take the honor pledge seriously

If you don't already know, students created the campus honor pledge so we can be treated like adults. While it allows you things such as unmonitored tests and visitation hours, it means so much more. Learn just what it means to pursue all truth and see all beauty.

12. Represent our campus at different events.

On campus, we have so many different events going on. Make sure to go to a few sports games in your Notre Dame blue or head over to see the Choir Concert or even buy a ticket for the Fall Play. Support your sisters and show pride in our community.

13. Be open-minded.

Though we are a Catholic campus, you will find Notre Dame to be an open, welcoming place where all kinds are allowed. Try to hold back bias and open yourself to change. You have a lot to learn in four years.

14. Learn about our campus diversity.

Whether you are looking for diversity of race or religion, Notre Dame has it. Visit the different organizations that sponsor open conversation about current social issues and see the way our voices blend while we respect our own personal histories. This is the way we grow as a community.

15. Understand that this isn't a party school.

Notre Dame is a small campus. Holding a party isn't going to go unnoticed. Quiet nights in with friends are more than welcome, but if you're looking for a rager, we recommend one of the other local universities.

16. Try new foods.

The dining hall has a love-hate relationship with many students, but ultimately, you must forge your own opinions. What I recommend is to try the food before refusing their services. You never know what dish is going to become your favorite.

17. Love your department.

Your department becomes a niche community for you to bond with like-minded women. Many departments have lounges for students and teachers. In addition to making friends with your professors, make friends with those in your department. After all, they have the same interests as you do.

18. College is flexible.

Your programs, as you enter Notre Dame, are flexible. You may find you will finish a year early. You also could find you'll finish a year late. You might enter a three to four year or a five-year program. Whatever your time frame, college is flexible and do not worry if you don't fit the four-year-mold. Take all the time you need, Notre Dame is here for you.

19. Be kind to others.

On this journey towards fulfilling your education, there's going to be drama. Whether it's an argument about a laundry machine or the falling out of a friendship, you can't escape these things in college. The best advice is to be kind to others while in college because we are all stressed and moving through the same path. Don't instigate when you can forgive.

20. Love Notre Dame.

You joined our community and it's time to enter this world. Whether you're new, transferring or returning, spread your love for Notre Dame and show your campus pride. You're a Gator now and it's time go out and change the world.

Special thanks to Courtney Strength, Kelsey Hundt and Sloan Clark for their input as Notre Dame students!