20 Struggles That Lifeguards Know To Be True

The stuff that Baywatch does not tell you about.

82
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

When a lot of people picture summer lifeguarding they picture the movie "Baywatch", which makes it seem like saving lives is the only thing that lifeguards have to worry about. I have worked as a summer lifeguard at a water park for almost three years and I can tell you from first hand experience that that statement is far from the truth. There is much more that lifeguards have to deal with, and if you have worked as a lifeguard in the past then I am sure that you will agree with some of these struggles.

1. Having to deal with awkward swim suit tan lines.

If you are a summer lifeguard then you will probably be working outside in the sun, and as a result, will get tan lines from your swim suit. Expect these to pretty much last until December. Some of mine never actually went away before this next summer started.

2. Having to repeat the same rules over and over again.

There are just some rules that people seem to really enjoy breaking, so be prepared to repeat yourself multiple times. If I had a dollar for every time I had to tell a patron that there could be no floats past the ropes or that they needed to walk instead of run during this summer, I would be rich.

3. Losing your voice from having to yell at patrons so much during busy days.

Busy days usually include a lot of noise from a DJ, people yelling and people splashing in the water. Be prepared to have to yell loudly in order to be heard so people can know the rules.

4. Wishing for it to thunder or lightning so you can get a break.

Even when the forecast does not call for storms, you secretly hope that it will storm anyway to cool everything down and to give you a short break; even if it is just for 30 minutes.

5. The feeling of disappointment when it rains but it does not thunder and lightning.

There's always that one family that shows up so you have to sit on stand in the freezing cold rain watching them to make sure that they do not drown.

6. Forgetting either your hat, whistle, shades or fanny pack in the guard room, and not noticing until you get on stand.

You constantly have the feeling that something is missing while you are on stand.

7. Having to deal with parents who think that you are not only a lifeguard, but also a babysitter.

Please do not ask a lifeguard if they can watch your kids for you because you do not want to. They are your kids. I have actually had multiple parents ask me if I could watch their little kids in the kiddie pool because they do not want to be in the kiddie pool with them. It's not like I have to watch everyone else in there or something.

8. Having to deal with parents who refuse to watch their children, even though they know that they cannot swim.

I had to make a save on the 4th of July and the parents of the kid I saved were nowhere to be found. If you know that your kids cannot swim please watch them, especially in deep water.

9. The craziness that comes with summer holidays like Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

So many people...I always have the sound of whistles ringing in my head the day after.

10. Having to deal with patrons who believe that the rules do not apply to them.

It makes it worse when they pretend that they cannot hear you and then they give you an attitude when they decide to finally acknowledge you.

11. Having to explain over and over again why a certain rule is in place.

I am very thankful for the people who understand why the rule is in place after I explain it to them, though.

12. Being out in the sun for most of the day in 90+ degree weather.

It is hot but at least I have been getting a great tan.

13. Having to deal with those kids that know that they are not strong swimmers but swim to the deep end anyway.

It makes it worse when they lie to you and say that they can swim well but they really cannot. If you can swim, then you should be able to swim in any feet of water.

14. Looking at a kid and knowing that they will probably need saving.

There are just some kids that you know you will have to jump in and save once you see them go over the ropes to the deep end.

15. Yelling "walk please" multiple times...and the kids keep running.

This is the main rule that I have to yell and this is the main rule that most kids ignore until they slip and fall on the pavement.

16. Having to clean up after patrons who refuse to use the trash can that is near where they are sitting.

There are literally trashcans all around the facility...please use them.

17. Feeling awkward when someone who looks really young or really old starts hitting on you.

I do not even think I need to write anything here.

18. Knowing that your facility is about to become packed when you see multiple school buses pulling up.

Please be one of those summer camps where everyone already knows how to swim.

19. Having to deal with people being late to rotation.

Thanks for making my break shorter than it should be.

20. Having to deal with those parents who try to take their babies to the deep end.

Yes, I know that you are holding your child, but they still cannot swim on their own so no, they cannot be in the deep end. If a young child who cannot swim is not allowed in the deep end, then a baby is not either.