​Why Every 20-Something Should Solo Drive Now And Again

Why getting behind the wheel of a car alone can do us well.

16
Glass Duffle

I’m the first person to agree to a road trip with friends. After my fair share of long journeys, I can honestly say that as much as the trek may seem daunting, the changing landscape and constant company always makes for a good time. No matter how much you may want to reach your final destination in a quick and efficient manner, looking back at these long car trips in retrospect rarely fails to provide an air of nostalgia and keenness.

However, as much as I love a road trip with friends, I've come to realize that solo car rides are an important experience everyone should have, especially those in their 20s.

While growing up, I spent a lot of time traveling back and forth to a vacation home three hours away. After I received my license, these car rides transitioned from chaotic family time uncomfortably crammed in the back seat of a car to a peaceful journey I began to look forward to. This was one of the first time's in my life that I was guaranteed independent time on my own, without interruption of thought from siblings, arguments over an AUX chord, and text messages I needed to answer.

Whether it be driving across town to go to a friend’s house or driving 10 hours away to my college many states away, I’ve begun to treasure the time I have when the only seat occupied in my car is the driver’s.

Driving alone allows for a time of disconnected reflection. Unable to text while simultaneously drive, as well as not being obligated to socialize with the many drivers you briefly pass on the road, I cherish this kind of isolation that’s difficult to acquire at this day and age. With cell phones so readily available, people are always expected to be immediately accessible. Common courtesy implies that texts will be replied to as soon as they’re seen and phone calls will be answered as long as your hands aren’t otherwise occupied. The only excuse that seems unquestionably justified is the undeniable, “Sorry, I was driving.”

Upon reflection, I have found that the car often caters to a special environment with friends that contributes to many funny memories and enjoyable experiences to look back on. However, that same environment is equally as beneficial when we look at it in opposite conditions. Company for a long trip can be good, but people dismiss the importance of time truly spent alone. Sure, I can gladly sit in my room on a quiet day to escape whatever it is that needs to be escaped that day. However, who's stopping a sibling from barging in or a friend from calling me on the phone and demanding a response?

Driving alone provides nothing but the alternating yellow stripes down the center of the road as a distraction and no questions to tend to other than the ones in your head. When I drive alone, I'm forced to confront the many things I may otherwise dismiss before I go to sleep at night, or at least reflect on experiences I would never have previously allotted time for.

Spending aimless time in a car with minimal importance placed on the destination, but more so the journey, forces you to think about, contemplate, consider and reflect things you would be too occupied to think about in the car with friends or family present.