20 Reasons I'm a "Nasty Woman"
Politics

20 Reasons I'm a "Nasty Woman"

Embrace your inner Nasty Woman, Piss off a politician

109
20 Reasons I'm a "Nasty Woman"

Recently the internet has blown up with comments towards Donald Trump's latest word faux paux: The Nasty Women. Since then people have come out saying reasons they are proud to be a "nasty women" and humorous images like this one seen below:

The term "nasty woman" dates back to colonial times and can be defined as "A 'nasty' woman is one who refuses to remain in her proper place, as defined by men. One who challenges male authority."

So here are some of my top reasons why I'm proud to be a "Nasty Woman":

1. I will vote in this election

As someone is 20, this is the first election I can vote in. While I'm disappointed that this election has focused on scandal rather than issues, I'm excited that I get to vote! In addition, so many ignorant and close-minded people have helped to get me more passionate and interested in politics and the global perspective on things.

2. I know the history it took to get to the 2016 Election.

Even if you're not voting Hillary Clinton, you have to acknowledge that a female nominee for president is a huge milestone. But you also have to acknowledge that there is so much more to the history of this shatter in the glass ceiling.

3. I have the option to pursue a higher education

I will not say that I have equal access to education or the equal opportunities as men in the same field, but just being able to choose to go to college is a huge step in the right direction.

4. And just by doing so pisses so many people off.

Because after all, women belong in the home and clearly I'm incapable of making my own decisions or forming my own independent thoughts. But my degree will include the letters B.A. and maybe I'll get an M.A., an M.S., an M.P.A. or a J.D. but I have no concern for getting my Mrs.

5. "Like a girl" will never be an insult to me.

Companies like "Always" have been embracing this for years. And of course you can't forget Soccer Star Mia Hamm's quote "My coach said I ran like a girl, I said if he could run a little faster he could too."

6. It's not just Trump who think they can get away with lewd comments towards women.

Look no further than Dave Hon and see my response to him here.

7. State Government is starting to see the problem with Rape Culture in its rulings

See the Brock Turner case, and Governor Jerry Brown's response to pass much more expansive legislation. This legislation includes the prohibition of probation to people convicted of rape or sexual assault, mandatory minimum sentencing for those convicted of rape, and the lifting of the statute of limitations for pressing charges on rape cases.

9. I am driven to be more than I am today.

Because you should never settle, especially on yourself.

10. I look up to people like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

She makes amazing points on what it truly means to be a feminist. Check out her TED talk here.

11. But I also admire historical heroes like Margaret Sanger.

If you've ever taken birth control or gone to a Planned Parenthood, thank Margaret Sanger. Women's reproductive rights started long before the 2016 election or Roe v. Wade.

12. Gloria Steinem

She was a huge figure in the Women's Rights/Feminism movement, has published several books, is the founder of Ms. Magezine and has also developed herself into having a prominence on more modern issues including Same Sex Marriage and Transgender Rights. She is also a badass with some amazing quotes (see the next few numbers on my list)

13. I am not patient- Gloria Steinem

Nor should you be. No change ever came about by asking nicely for it.

14. Some of us are becoming the men we want to marry- Gloria Steinem

15. A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle- Gloria Steinem

16. Betty Friedan

She was another major icon in the Women's Rights/Feminism movement. She is most known for her book The Feminine Mystique, but has written several other works. In addition, she was the co-founder of the National Organization of Women (NOW). Check out the next couple numbers for some of my favorite quotes.

17. No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor- Betty Friedan

And if you did, I doubt it would be that desirable.

18.The only way for a woman, as for a man, to find herself is to know herself as a person, is by creative work of her own-Betty Friedan

And create everything you could ever dream possible because if you can dream it you can become it.

19. I will speak out against people like you, Donald Trump.

Not just you, but all those with close-minded ideology like you.

20. I know I can do so much more than I am doing today.

And So I will do everything possible to be greater.

The most dangerous thing a girl can do is become her own hero-Nicole Masaki