There was always something special about plugging in your VCR or turning the channel to find a heavenly blue screen with a magic castle. Growing up, that always meant the next hour and a half of my day would be filled with hope, song and pure joy. I could go on to paint a picture of just how positively the Walt Disney Company has influenced my life, but so many of their movies do it for me.
Where a lot of us can look to the heroes and heroines of our all-time favorites for inspiration, I've found that it's really the Lumière's and the Sebastian's of these classics that make us pause and say "retweet."
In no particular order, here are just a handful of some of Disney's wise sidekicks who help add just that little something special.
1. "If you'd lost all your faith, I couldn't be here." - Fairy Godmother, Cinderella (1950)
2. "You must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul." - Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille (2007)
3. "You don't have time to be timid. You must be bold, daring." - Lumière, Beauty and the Beast (1991)
4. "Love is beautiful. Love is wonderful. Love is everything." - Ray, The Princess and The Frog (2009)
5. "Cheer up, child. It'll turn out alright in the end. You'll see." - Mrs. Potts, Beauty and the Beast (1991)
6. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all." - Thumper, Bambi (1942)
7. "I don't want to survive. I want to live." - Captain B. McCrea, WALL-E (2008)
8. "Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." - Grandmother Willow, Pocahontas (1995)
9. "Life’s not a spectator sport. If watchin’ is all you’re gonna do, then you’re gonna watch your life go by without ya." - Laverne, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
10. "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of them all." - The Emperor of China, Mulan (1998)
11. "True love is putting someone else before yourself." - Olaf, Frozen (2013)
12. "We own ourselves. We're masters of our own fate. We control our own destiny." - Lotso, Toy Story 3 (2010)
13. "You want something done, you've got to do it yourself. " - Sebastian, The Little Mermaid (1989)
14. "Ladies don't start fights, but they can finish them." - Marie, The Aristocats (1971)
15. "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." - Rafiki, The Lion King (1994)
16. "I never look back, darling. It distracts me from the now." - Edna, The Incredibles (2004)
17. "If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk." - March Hare, Alice In Wonderland (1951)
18. "Pumba, I don't wonder. I know." - Timon, The Lion King (1994)
19. "Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts."- Merchant, Aladdin (1992)
20. "The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up." - Timothy Mouse, Dumbo (1941)
Sometimes what our hearts and minds need is just a click or DVD away.
Disney is for everyone.
Never forget that magic comes to us in the most special of ways. Even when made for a child's eye, a talking tree, a sassy safari rodent or an endearing snowman can communicate to us better than sometimes our parents ever could.