20 Things I Learned Before I Turned 20

20 Things I Learned Before I Turned 20

Who said you're too young to know a few things?

34
20 Things I Learned Before I Turned 20
Megan Roop

Assuming this article goes live on Monday, today, I turn 20 years old. When you say "20" out loud, it doesn't exactly sound old when we have some 100 year olds on this planet. I feel like there is such a stigma behind being young but also having some credible experiences. I believe that from the day we are born until the day we die, everything is an experience and you learn something new everyday. Therefore, in my now 20 years on Earth, I've learned a few things that have helped shape me into the woman I am today *cringes at the sound of calling myself a ~woman~*. Anyway, here are 20 things I learned before my 20th birthday.

1. A good book will make you forget everything and anything.

2. There is nothing quite like dancing to your favorite song in the world with your best friends in the world.

3. Christmastime is the most magical time of year and there is no comparable feeling.

4. Your best friend will always be there for you, even if you haven't talked in weeks, or even months.

5. It's better to be true to yourself rather than being someone else to please others.

6. There will always be someone out there that can make you laugh and smile more than you could ever imagine.

7. Just because something ended, doesn't mean it was a mistake.

8. Life is short. Like really really short.

9. Enjoy the moment you're in because today is going to become tomorrow before you can even process it.

10. You won't gain 10 pounds from eating one late night slice of pizza. Eat the damn pizza.

11. Sometimes it's okay to keep some things to yourself. The more you give away, the less you have to say down the road.

12. Treat everything with respect, even if it doesn't respect you.

13. Spend time watching your favorite movie even if you don't have the time.

14. Don't rely on someone else for happiness.

15. Live life for you because at the end of the day, you're the only guaranteed person that is going to stick around for your whole life.

16. Be overly sentimental.

17. Don't limit yourself to one crazy adventure a weekend, you should live a crazy adventure everyday.

18. Say yes. Every time.

19. Take lots of pictures.

20. Love the people who make you happy and sing a song every morning when you wake up. Start the day off with optimism.