20 Fun Things To Do Over Spring Break

20 Fun Things To Do Over Spring Break

Make this the best spring break yet!

38912
20 Fun Things To Do Over Spring Break
Gabrielle Kurtz

Trying to figure out what is the best way to spend your spring break? But you don't want to burn a hole in your pocket by traveling to some tropical place? Here are a few fun and cheap things to do that won't break the bank.

1. Spend a day exploring a nearby city

Cities can be full of exciting places that you never realized were there. Hidden parks, quaint coffee shops, chic restaurants and amazing boutiques are just some of the possibilities of what you may find!

2. Go to the beach

It may be chillier than normal, but it will still feel like a vacation. It's off season for the beach; so, prices for hotels and houses will most likely be a lot cheaper. Plus, it will not be as crowded. This gives you the opportunity to take long walks on the beach and boardwalk and enjoy your favorite place without a crowd of people around constantly.

3. Go hiking/ on a long bike ride

Is there that one hike you have been wanting to do for a long time but have never gotten around to doing? Is there a bike route near your house that everyone has been talking about? Consider doing one of these two things if it is not too cold or windy.

4. Thrift shop

Since we are broke college students, mall shopping just really is not an option. Go thrift shopping for some cool new spring clothing, or hunt around for a new decoration that can go in your dorm room.

5. Take pictures

Grab your camera or phone, and snap a few pictures of things that you do not take enough time to stop and notice. Keep an eye out for sunsets and maybe wake up a little early one day to see the sunrise. Then print them out and hang up in your dorm room.

6. Read a book

No. Not your textbook. Not the assigned reading for class. An actual book that hooks you in and keeps you mesmerized until the end. A book that you can thoroughly enjoy from start to finish without having to take notes on the plotline and character development.

7. Visit friends or family out of state

Maybe you have a few cousins or an aunt who you rarely get to see. This would be the perfect time to go see them and stay a couple days. Some one on one time can be great and this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

8. Go see your friends who do not have spring break

Travel to wherever one of your friends goes to school, and stay a night or two with them. You get to see what their campus is like and meet some of their friends.

9. Google “Top Things to Do in (Your State)” and do them

You would be surprised at some of the interesting places there are in your state and you never even knew about. This can help you to appreciate the state in which you live a little more.

10. Go home with one of your friends

Meet their family, see their hometown!

11. Bring home some of your friends

Let them meet your family, and show them all of the cool hangout spots that you used to love.

12. Take a road trip with no planned destination

Grab some cash, get in the car, turn on the music and start driving. You never know where you will end up. It could be a complete bust or end up being one of the best experiences you’ve ever had.

13. Visit your high school

Remember that teacher who you promised you would come and visit? Keep your promise, and go see them. Take them coffee or a treat, and make their week!

14. Start a garden

You might be saying “It’s still winter!” But really there is no better time to start. Weed that old flower bed, and commit to having a garden this summer. If you don’t do it now, you never will.

15. Take your grandparents out to lunch

If your grandparents live nearby, ask them if they would like to go out on a lunch date with you! We never spend enough time with the people who allowed for us to be here. It is always great catching up with them and sharing old memories.

16. Offer to babysit, work, clean, etc.

Some of these things might just sound too costly for you. Call up people you have worked for before, and let them know you will be home and that you are willing to work! No family is going to turn down the opportunity for a date night. Then you have some extra cash in your pocket for when you go back to school.

17. Go on a service trip

Now, I understand not all schools have this, but at my school, there are several service trips offered over spring break. They are cheap, typically to warmer climates, and serving people for a week is such a good way to spend a break!

18. Bake and cook

Make some yummy goods that you can bring back to school with you and eat on those days where all you want is a home cooked meal.

19. Spend quality time with your family

Breaks are an excellent time to just be invested in your family. It is hard to stay connected. Take this time to just love them and let them love you back.

20. Sleep

Because as college students, we know that we never, ever can get enough of this.