20 Books That Will Change Your Perspective On The World

256
12 Dozen Places to Educate Yourself Online For Free

Here is a complete list of books that'll change how you see your life and the world. It includes classics, self-help books, poetry, children's books, and everything in-between.

1. Hiroshima by John Hersey

This is a true recount of the bombing of Hiroshima during World War II. It depicts the horrors endured by the Japanese with a factual representation of the lives of six people who were effected that day.

2. 1984 by George Orwell

Since Orwell's book was published, many have created other books based on the dystopian ideal. The book is highly influential and is sure to make you think.

3. Brave New World by Huxley

After Orwell paved the way for dystopian novels, Huxley created his own. This is yet another novel that will make you question the world we live in.

4. The Entire Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter has added a sense of magic to the world. While it is not influential in the same way that 1984 and Brave New World are, they have certainly made an impact.

5. The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

Another novel with the idea of a dystopian society. This is relatable to our current status in the world, primarily because of the idea of factions. In the novels, factions are meant to keep similar people together, separated from the other factions. This proves to be problematic (obviously) and shows how important it is to have people who think differently to keep society balanced.

6. The Giver by Lois Lowry

Oh, look: Another dystopian novel. This was the first one I'd read of this genre and it made me more interested in the others. It is definitely worth reading.

7. The Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen

This book will show you that anything is possible and will change the way you view the road to success.

8. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero

Every single person who has ever doubted themselves absolutely needs to read this book. The book shows you that anything is possible and you can have/be anything you want, so long as you stop getting in your own way. I keep this in my dorm at all times, just in case I forget that I am a badass.

9. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist is one of the most inspiring novels I've ever read. Without giving anything away, please go get a copy.

10. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

This seems random, but I promise you it's not. The book has stuck with me since childhood and it is something that people of all ages can apply to their own lives. It's a simple message, yet it is extremely powerful.

11. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

This is important for obvious reasons. It shows you what happens when people follow blindly and the cost of unquestioned compliance.

12. Beautiful Chaos by R.M. Drake

Beautiful Chaos is a poetic masterpiece. Drake covers love, loss, and everything in-between.

13. Night by Elie Wiesel

A lot of these books show just how magical the world can be; this shows the exact opposite. Elie Wiesel's experience sends an important message to future generations and is a necessary read for every young adult.

14. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Cliche, yes, but it shows you that you have control over your life. You don't have to be stagnant and you don't have to live a mediocre life.

15. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Actually, anything by Maya Angelou.

16. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This is important in terms of perspective. It's important to read books that tell stories of people from all walks of life.

17. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

This is another self-help book, but it's just as effective and influential as the other ones.

18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I had to add this one; it's a classic. It shows that not every ending is happy and what we think we want might not be what's best for us. P.S. Daisy Buchanan is the worst.

19. The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle

Surprise: Another self-help book. This one stresses the importance of living in the moment.

20. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Foer's book questions why we eat what we eat and makes us look behind the curtain covering the meat industry.

Many of these books have made a massive impact on my life. Hopefully, they will do the same for you.