20 Awesome Actors & Actresses That Haven't Won An Oscar

Here's to our underrated and under-recognized favorites.

149
ABC

Recently, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nominees for the 88th annual Academy Awards (a.k.a the Oscars). Airing on February 28th, the Oscars are the most prestigious awards show in the movie business. Hollywood's best and brightest are recognized for their achievements throughout the year, but the competition is always incredibly stiff. "It's an honor just to be nominated," they always say, but let's be honest, we all know they want to win. Surprisingly, though, some of the highest A-List actors and actresses have never won. Here's a list naming a few of them.

1. Johnny Depp

Though he's been nominated several times, Johnny Depp has never won an Oscar. He is arguably the most versatile actor of this generation, immersing himself into his roles until he is nearly unrecognizable. Nevertheless, Johnny still has never been awarded the industry's great honor.

2. Leonardo DiCaprio

The elephant in the room. It's well known that Leo's quest for an Oscar has been unsuccessful so far. With outstanding performances in movies like What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Aviator, The Wolf of Wall Street, and not to mention Titanic, there is no such thing as a bad Leonardo DiCaprio film. Every year we are hopeful that Leo finally breaks his drought, but every year we are all disappointed. It's really ridiculous that he hasn't won yet and makes me very sad for him. Just look at his poor little face in the gif above as someone else's name is called yet again. Hopefully his role in The Revenant will bring home the hardware this year. Especially since he nearly dies about 73 times throughout the film and ate raw bison liver to make it as realistic as possible. Please give this man an Oscar before he kills himself trying. #LeoForTheOscar2016

3. Samuel L. Jackson

How has good ol' Samuel L. not won an Oscar at this point? His legendary acting career has stretched over 40 years. The way he delivers profanity is truly an art form in itself. Jackson is a master actor. He definitely deserves to win a giant gold man sometime soon.

4. Amy Adams

She's been nominated five times in the last 10 years, but the Oscar has eluded Amy Adams as well. Her most recognizable roles have been in movies like The Fighter and American Hustle. She's more than just a little talented. Hopefully Amy will win one before it becomes a DiCaprio-esque quest.

5. Brad Pitt

It's hard to believe that Pitt, everyone's favorite '90's crush, has never won an Oscar for his acting. His film 12 Years a Slave won best picture in 2013, but Brad has never won any individual Academy Award.

6. Will Smith

Say it ain't so! The Fresh Prince has never won an Oscar. He was nominated twice for his roles in Ali and The Pursuit of Happyness, but lost to Denzel Washington and Forest Whitaker, respectively. Notably, Smith is boycotting this year's ceremony to protest the lack of diversity among nominees for the second year in a row.

7. Alan Rickman

With his recent and untimely death, Rickman has weighed heavily in our minds and hearts this week. Most of our generation knows him as Severus Snape, one of the most complex literary characters of this generation. With his unmistakable voice and presence, it was impossible to turn your attention away from Rickman when he was on screen. He will be missed. Always.

8. Angela Bassett

When she isn't absolutely slaying on American Horror Story, Bassett is a bona fide movie star. She was nominated for an Oscar in 1994 for portraying Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It?, but has been absent from the nomination list ever since. Always bringing her own brand of strength and tenacity, it goes without saying that she is an extremely deserving actress.

9. Robert Downey Jr.

One of the most respected and energetic actors of our time hasn't won an Oscar. He's made an incredible personal comeback from addiction, which has turned him into a fan favorite. It's highly likely that Downey will win sometime in the foreseeable future.

10. Gary Oldman

Another highly respected British actor famous for playing bad guys, Oldman has anextensive body of work that spans over decades. Incredibly, he's only been nominated once in 2012 for his role in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (which is one of my favorite movies you can watch on Netflix). He is extremely versatile. Chances are you've seen him in several films but didn't even realize it. People of my generation will probably recognize him from the Harry Potter franchise, Lawless (also on Netflix, highly recommend), and the Dark Knight trilogy. He's an extremely underrated actor who deserves much more recognition.

11. Sigourney Weaver

Probably most famous for her role in Alien, Weaver is another strong actress who's never won an Oscar. I know her name is a little tricky to say, but anything sounds good after, "And the Oscar goes to..."

12. Harrison Ford

Han may have shot first, but it's a little hard to believe he's never won an Oscar. What's even more surprising is that he's only been nominated once. It's a good thing the Millennium Falcon doesn't have a mantel over a fireplace, because it would be conspicuously empty.

13. Marilyn Monroe

How is it possible that the most recognizable movie star of all time has never won an Academy Award? Maybe she was too provocative for her time. Maybe it's because her life and career were tragically cut short. Nevertheless, it seems a bit unsettling that Hollywood's most distinguished icon never won its biggest honor.

14. Liam Neeson

Another one of the industry's most notable actors that hasn't won an Oscar. Maybe they wouldn't trust him with one given how many times his Taken character seems to lose track of his daughter...

15. Bill Murray

He's a famous funny man from classics like Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day and, my personal favorite, What About Bob. Murray seems to only gotten better with age. He has been nominated just once, for his role in Lost in Translation, but I think we can all agree that he deserves more Oscars recognition.

16. Tom Cruise

Cruise is one of the biggest stars of the past few decades, but has no Oscar to show for it. Maybe the Academy doesn't believe he can handle the truth. Or they're still mad that he was partly responsible for Goose's death in Top Gun. The world may never know.

17. Sir Ian McKellen

He's Gandalf for crying out loud, how has he not won? Though he's been nominated twice over his 50+ year career (!!!), he has yet to win. Hopefully he'll get his chance to give an Oscars acceptance speech like a sir.

18. Helena Bonham Carter

She is one of the most versatile and entertaining actresses of our time, but she has never won the sought-after Oscar. She's unpredictable and absolutely mesmerizing in every role she plays. One can only hope she'll be recognized someday.

19. Ralph Fiennes

His work has garnered him several nominations, but alas, no Oscar. I think it's because he's Voldemort and everyone is afraid of him. Evil dark wizard or not, Fiennes is a prolific actor who deserves much more recognition.

20. Jim Carrey

Last but certainly not least, one of our favorite comedians. Carrey is known mostly for his goofy and overall ridiculous persona, but he has some pretty notable dramatic roles as well. His downright creepy role in The Cable Guy gave us the first hint at his prowess. Sure, it was still a comedy,but it gave us an inkling that there was more to Carrey than funny voices. And don't get me started on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. What especially irks me is that Carrey hasn't even been nominated for an Oscar. Shame shame, Academy, we know your name.