Two Things You Must Do In Order To Survive Your Bachelorette Years

The Survival Guide

7
Instagram

All of us are in different places regarding our love lives. Some of us are in a committed relationship. Some of us are actively dating and wanting a relationship. Some of us (me) are sitting on the couch eating Oreos.

Regardless, the majority of us millennials are still checking that "single" box on forms and living up the bachelorette life. I am not a pro at the bachelorette life — frankly, I am not sure anyone would say that I am — however, I am surviving it.

Let's face it, guys can be sketchy and we need survival skills to come out of this alive.

I am surviving it due to two rules I live by. These rules I have learned through friends and personal experience. With these two rules, I ensure you that you too can live a happy, healthy bachelorette life. (Did that sound like an advertisement? It was supposed to).

This is not bulletproof--or heartbreak proof, but I do promise you that it will minimize them and help you slay the bachelorette lifestyle a little better.

1. Protect your heart

This one is an ode to my best friend, who, initially, had given me this advice during my first breakup.

I was trying to continue an unhealthy unhappy relationship while keeping myself vulnerable to my ex. I was not protecting my heart whatsoever. In fact, I was more saying, "Here, take my heart. I will leave it right here in case you want to step on it some more."

As a young woman, in today's society, where many men have questionable motives you must protect your heart and do what is best for you. It is OK to be selfish when your heart is involved.

I'm almost positive my best friend forgot she had given me this advice. Recently, I had told her she needed to protect her heart and she then proceeded to tell me how wise I am. Little does she know she gave me this advice years ago--advice I use every day.

2. Trust your instincts

I think women today do not believe in themselves and do not trust themselves enough. We choose to ignore red flags and potentially dangerous or emotionally harmful situations because we feel they are able to be looked past.

Often times men say we are paranoid, crazy, or too sensitive. We hear these things and slowly begin to believe them and dismiss those red flags.

Ladies, do not believe them. Trust your instincts.

You have to believe in yourself and remember that you are smart and know what is right and wrong. You know what is too much. You know what is a red flag and what isn't.

If you are told his ex won't leave him alone and that she continues to text and call excessively it is because he is still replying. Don't be dumb.

If, deep in your gut, you feel something is not right it is OK to question it and you do not deserve to be made out like you are crazy. I promise you, your gut is probably right.

Plus, if he is the right person for you, he will go through hell and back to prove that you can trust him and trust him to love you the way you deserve to be loved.

These two rules will get you through these awful bachelorette years. You will make it out of this alive and with loads of self-respect and love for yourself.