To Me, Movies From The 1990s Are Pure Magic

90's in Film

142
Wikia

If you know me, you know I love watching movies. I have been a movie fanatic since my parents let me go to the movies alone (accompanied by my brothers, of course). Watching 90’s rom coms at an early age, (true obsession) I will never forget my older brother questioning my taste in movies, “Why do you love watching old school movies? The quality reeks.” Hey, don't hate on the oldies but goodies.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the movies that are produced today. The cinematic quality of movies today beats the image quality of movies produced in the last three decades. However, there is something very unique about Classic Hollywood cinema: authenticity. The political, cultural and social movements of the 90’s left their mark on the Hollywood industry. I remember watching the scene in Schindler’s List when the Jewish survivors and their actor counterparts placed stones on Schindler's grave, understanding the historical references in Forrest Gump, head bobbing to “What Is Love” from A Night At The Roxbury (shoutout to my twin), laughing when poor Marvin is shot in the face in Pulp Fiction, and my ultimate favorite, the “I’ll have what she’s having” iconic scene from When Harry Met Sally.

In essence, the movies of the 90’s represent much more than a giggle or a sob; they embody figments of nostalgia, relatability, and culture.

Marked as a decade of rapid change, the 90’s dealt with issues of racism, feminism, freedom, and Rock ‘n’ Roll. Groundbreaking films or my personal favorites like The Silence of the Lambs, Boyz n the Hood, Fight Club, Good Will Hunting, Mrs. Doubtfire, Friday, Clueless, Dazed and Confused, Boogie Nights, Sandlot, and Jumanji (plenty more to go).

Back in the day, films captivated audiences based on their original plot. Today’s films, however, require gorgeous actors and actresses, flashy sports cars, and massive explosions to gain notoriety and attention. Incorporating melodramatic elements, modern Hollywood films go above and beyond the classic plot; films of today use artificiality, computer generated imagery (CGI) and special effects in order to intrigue moviegoers.

While modern-day films are entertaining, they don’t quite carry the original plot, independence and unique components that 90’s movies carried. Movies of today lack authenticity and character; they are extremely predictable, consisting of two converging storylines: the first plot involving work, war, or some kind of mission; the second plot involving a relationship or love affair, specifically with characters of the opposite sex.

Although I was born in the late 90s, I watch movies from the 90’s with a sense of nostalgia. It was a simpler time and yet it paved the way for movies today. Plain and simple, the 90’s were the decade that started it all.

For the majority of the twentieth century, one of the most fascinating and influential artistic forms, The Hollywood film, has captivated moviegoers far and wide. Emerging as a dominant creative force in U.S. history, Hollywood cinema not only continues to influence modern cinema but also profoundly affects cinema across the world.

#I’llBeBack