'I'm Not Yelling, I'm Italian,' And 18 Other Relatable Moments You Know From Growing Up Italian

Italians do it best.

619
Instagram

Growing up, I've noticed a lot about my Italian culture. Italians are crazy, loud, and very entertaining at parties. Our "inside voices" are considered "yelling." We talk with our hands a lot. Overall, we can be quite obnoxious, but it's okay because I'm proud to be an Italian.

If you're Italian, you'll definitely relate to this list.

1. Huge, loud family parties with lots and lots of food.

Family parties are HUGE, and there's a ton of food. If you have 40 people at a non-Italian party, there's enough food for 40-45 people. But at an Italian family party, there's enough food to feed 100+ people. There's so much food that someone usually falls asleep from a food coma.

2. Family gossiping about other family members.

No, we don't gossip in a bad way. We gossip by basically filling in other family members about what happened with another family member and give our opinions on the matter, even if no one asked.

3. *Gets asked a billion questions about school and boyfriend.*

“Do you have a boyfriend yet?” “How’s your boyfriend?” "How's school?" "What are you majoring in?"

4. Sunday dinner.

It's exactly what it sounds like. Our family gets together on a Sunday night for dinner. My family's Sunday dinner consists of pasta with homemade tomato sauce, London Broil or "juicy meat", and salad. Oh, and lots of desserts.

5. Everything surrounds food.

Family parties, graduations, receiving a sacrament, funerals, etc. Basically, food is a HUGE part of our life. WE LOVE FOOD.

6. Holidays are your favorite times of the year.

You get to see the half of the family that you have no idea who they are. The question: "How am I related to them again?" comes up multiple times, and you gain at least three pounds over the holidays.

7. “Mangia Mangia”

"Eat, Eat." My grandfather says that every time we pray before meals.

8. Espresso/coffee is a MUST at dessert time.

This one speaks for itself. Everyone drinks coffee at dessert time, especially Espresso.

9. You don’t know half of your family.

There's a part of the family that only comes around during holidays, so you see them about once or twice a year. Every year, you don't remember them.

10. People always assume you’re Latino/a.

I cannot tell you how many times someone has asked me if I'm Puerto Rican. No, I'm not. I'm Italian. I mean, I don't take offense at all, but you know what they say when you assume.

11. Yoga pants and leggings are your best friends.

With all that food you eat, it's got to go somewhere. God bless your bottom half.

12. You don’t like how anyone else cooks that isn’t your Italian family.

I love Olive Garden's breadsticks, but their "Italian" food... not so much.

13. Your grandmother isn’t “grandma,” she’s “nonna.”

This one speaks for itself.

14. When you use Italian slang around non-Italians and they just get confused.

I can't tell you how many times I've told someone who isn’t Italian that they give me Agida, and they’re just like, “What did you just call me?”

15. Your mom is always asking your friends if they want something to eat.

My mom genuinely gets concerned about you if you don't want anything to eat while you're over. Sometimes, my mom winds up forcing my friends to eat.

16. Talking with your hands.

Friend: "You talk with your hands a lot."

Me: "I'm Italian."

17. Carbs are your favorite food.

Pasta. Bread. Bagels. YUUUUM.

18. Friend: "Why are you yelling?” Me: “I’M NOT YELLING, I’M ITALIAN.”

Italians are LOUD. Sometimes I'll have a friend over and they'll ask why my mom is yelling, and I just say, "That's her inside voice."

19. You make it known that Italians do it better.

Italians do EVERYTHING better and we aren't afraid to tell you.