19 Things I've Learned Before 19

19 Things I've Learned Before 19

A reflection of the past nineteen years.

11
19 Things I've Learned Before 19
Luis Herrera

As I come closer to my nineteenth birthday, I've looked back over these past years, and I've tried to put together a list of all the important things I've learned and encountered. Here are just a few that hopefully may spark your interest and have you consider things you have not considered before.

1. Live every day like it is your last.
My dad has always said one of his favorite songs is "Live Like You're Dying" by Kris Allen. Over this past couple of years, I have come to discover that life is too short and we do have to take every day knowing we may not wake up tomorrow. I know this sounds morbid, but if you died tonight would you be satisfied with your life?
2. Don't be afraid to cry.
I've learned over the years that crying is okay. You should cry, and you shouldn't be frightened, and that goes for males and females. Also, don't be afraid of where you cry; vulnerability is okay.
3. Family is important.
Personally, in my life I have been blessed with the best family I could ever ask for, and many times I take that for granted. Whether your family is similar to mine or much more complicated, find those people and love them unconditionally because at the end of the day they are your rock.
4. Don't disregard past friendships/relationships.
Although things may not have ended well or it wasn't even a good relationship to start although we don't want to dwell on those moments, we can't just forget them because they shape us and make us better. They also help us avoid those same things in the future.
5. Accept your flaws.
At this point in the list, you're probably thinking this list is so cliche. But seriously these things are so important. I speak particularly on mental health, stuff like anxiety, OCD, attention disorders and many more should not be hidden. You should strive to learn to live with these things and seek help if you need it.
6. Don't ever assume what people are going through.
You never know what people are going through so be cautious of what you say and do because it can affect people more than you may think.
7. Love yourself.
This is something I still struggle with, but the better I've gotten at, the happier I've become. It's so important to love yourself because if you don't love yourself, you can't really and truly love others.
8. Phone towers create great memories.
Lately, my family and friends have been building a phone tower at the table, which is when you go to eat you stack all the phones in the middle of the table the first one to give in and grab their phone has to either pay the bill or another kind of consequence. This leads to amazing conversations.
9. God is your true BFF.
Your friends may come and go. Life can take major turns, but if there is one constant in your life it is Jesus and He will never abandon you.
10. Don't text and drive.
I hear and read way too many stories about people my age or younger dying because they thought answering a text right at that moment was the best thing to do. Please don't text and drive there is no need to risk your life or the lives of others because of a simple text. It can wait.
11. Smile.
Honestly, it seems like such a dumb thing to say, but it is so important to smile. It is something I've slowly started to do more of, and I can see how it affects my life and the lives of others so positively.
12. Don't be afraid to go against the flow.
Over the years I have started to embrace myself and feel comfortable in my skin. When I was younger I always wanted to follow the newest trend and stick to the status quo but the older I've come to love being different and feeling independent because I don't have to be a part of the crowd.
13. Social media isn't THAT important.
I've come to learn that social media can be pretty fake and we shouldn't spend as much time as we do on it. It doesn't matter if you have twenty followers or five thousand followers; try to take a break every once in a while. It is quite refreshing.
14. Give everything your 110%.
You should never do something without giving it all you've got. We were all made to meet a certain potential and we should strive to do our best in everything we do.
15. Get a job.
One of best things I did when I turned 16 was getting a job, and I haven't been unemployed since. I think it is so important for kids no matter what their socioeconomic background is should get a job early on. It will teach many skills that will help as they continue to grow into adults.
16. Save money.
This is something I haven't done very well, but it is very important to save your money. This way you have an emergency fund or even one day can lead you to take the trip of a lifetime. Learning to save money is a good thing to do, and I wish I would've done a better job up to this point.
17. Sing in the shower.
It seems like the dumbest of them all, but it's probably in my top five of the things I've learned. Singing in the shower is so liberating. You can sing anything; the shower head is your microphone, and the drops of water are your standing ovation. Go crazy, but don't try to dance you may slip--take it from experience.
18. Say "Thank You."
A simple two letter phrase can turn someone's day around or at least give them a second of optimism. Whether someone holds the door open for you or it's the garbage man. Taking two seconds out of your day to say those two words over time can make a lasting impact.
19. Enjoy!
But most importantly enjoy life. Take every opportunity you get and live it to the fullest!