19 Things I've Learned by 19

19 Things I've Learned by 19

A slightly cliché article about life.

13
19 Things I've Learned by 19

Nineteen, another year older another year wiser. We've managed to survive our first year of adulthood and make it out alive, even though there are times when it doesn't feel like we qualify as adults at all. We're still unsure, most of us don't have our lives figured out, and sometimes life just feels like a completely unmanageable hot mess. When you feel defeated, look back on the advice you've been given throughout the years and recognize how far you've come. For me, here are nineteen things I've learned by the age of nineteen.

1. Not everybody is going to like you and that's okay.

You can be the ripest juiciest peach in the world, but there will always be someone who hates peaches.

2. You don't always have to dress to impress.

Don't worry if you're caught walking around with shower hair, sweats, and no makeup, life is so much more than being something pretty to look at.

3. Eat what you want while you still can.

I know that my metabolism is going to catch up to me eventually, but I'm going to enjoy all of my junk food while I still can.

4. It's not "lame" if your mom is one of your best friends.

She's literally had your back since day one, of course she's going to be a good friend.

5. Learn to find balance.

Don't get too worried or caught up with work or school, but also don't get to the point where you don't care at all.

6. Don't worry about the little things.

Odds are that in a few weeks the things you were worried about won't even matter.

7. Cherish the things you have.

You never know when a relative, pet, or friend will no longer be a part of your life. Make sure to show how much you appreciate the ones you love.

8. Make sure to take pictures.

When you've long forgotten some of the little things that have happened throughout your life, it can be nice to look through pictures and reminisce.

9. Try to find the good in every day.

No matter how bad a day may seem, there's always one redeeming event that can make you look back and smile.

10. Working hard pays off.

Whether it's at school or a job, people will take notice of your hard work. This can pay off when it comes to getting letters of recommendation from teachers or applying for new jobs.

11. Surround yourself with good people.

You don't need people that will bring you down and don't have your best interest in mind.

12. Working out is probably a good idea.

It can be hard to find the motivation to work out (believe me I know), but it will put you in a better mood and contribute to your overall well-being.

13. Give new people a chance.

Meeting people can be scary, but not allowing yourself to open up to new people is a missed opportunity.

14. Don't feel bad about ranting.

Keeping your emotions bottled up inside will drive you crazy. You may feel guilty about venting to a friend for an hour straight, but it's definitely therapeutic and they're sure to understand.

15. Learn to love your own company.

Sometimes being by yourself can give you cabin fever, but you need to accept that sometimes you're going to be alone. If you feel a constant reliance on other people to make you happy or keep you entertained, you need to start learning that your happiness comes from you, not others.

16. Don't be afraid to have a lazy day.

Sometimes sitting around the house and doing nothing all day can make you feel like the laziest person in the world. When that thought crosses your mind just remember that it's okay to be lazy sometimes. Your life doesn't have to be go, go, go 24/7.

17. Your parents are probably right.

No matter how stupid or overbearing their advice may seem at times, they're probably right and you should heed their advice.

18. Don't forget to keep in contact with your old friends.

Just because you're in college making new friends doesn't mean you should forget about your friends back home. Don't let the good people in your life fall through the cracks.

19. It's okay to not have everything figured out.

You're still young and there are room for mistakes. If you love the life you're living and are trying your best, I'd say you're doing something right.