19 Quotes To Live By From The Novel 'Tuesdays With Morrie'

Some of the most meaningful quotes given to us by Mitch Albom.

11448
TMDB

"Tuesdays with Morrie" is a novel written by Mitch Albom about life lessons that took place every Tuesday given by his old professor named Morrie who has been dying of the disease ALS.

I discovered this book a couple of years ago, and I have lived by it since the first time I read it from cover to cover. The novel includes fourteen Tuesdays where they talk about a different life lesson each time, and everything Morrie says is so wholesome and true to life, especially coming from a dying man.

I have lived by this book and I can honestly say it changed my outlook on life, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. I've decided to place here some of my favorite quotes from the book that have so much meaning, and even more meaning once you read it.

Here are some of my favorite quotes written by Albom in this novel:

1. “Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do; accept the past as past, without denying or discarding it; learn to forgive yourself and forgive others."
2. “Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted. A tension of opposites, like a pull on a rubber band. And most of us live somewhere in the middle."
3. “Love wins. Love always wins."
4. “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."
5. “If you really want it, then you'll make your dream happen."
6. “The most important thing in life is to earn how to give out love, and to let it come in."
7. “I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on all the good things still in my life."
8. “The loving relationships we have, the universe around us, we take these things for granted."
9. “If you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don't have much at all. Love is so supremely important."
10. “Learn to detach. Don't cling to things, because everything is impermanent."
11. “But detachment doesn't mean you don't let the experience penetrate you. On the contrary, you let it penetrate you fully. That's how you are able to leave it."
12. “Same for loneliness: you let go, let the tears flow, feel it completely – but eventually be able to say, “All right, that was my moment with loneliness. I'm not afraid of feeling lonely, but now I'm going to put that loneliness aside and know that there are other emotions in the world, and I'm going to experience them as well."
13. “Do the kinds of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won't be dissatisfied, you won't be envious, you won be longing for somebody else's things. On the contrary, you'll be overwhelmed with what comes back."
14. “What we take, we must replenish."
15. “Don't let go too soon, but don't hang on too long."
16. “It's not just other people we need to forgive, Mitch. We also need to forgive ourselves… For all the things we didn't do. All the things we should have done. You can't get stuck on the regrets of what should have happened."
17. “I know it hurts when you can't be with someone you love. But you need to be at peace with his desires. Maybe he doesn't want you interrupting your life. Maybe he can't deal with that burden."
18. “Love is different. Love is when you are as concerned about someone else's situation as you are about your own."
19. “But when someone is happy – genuinely happy – to see you, it melts you from the start. It is like going home."

Some quotes are short and others long, some more intellectual and some more straight to the point. There are so many lessons on love, forgiveness, detachment, regrets and the world around us. There is so much meaning in the entire book, and so much to live by. I truly wish that each and every person out there would read this book, and maybe they would look at life differently.