19 Lessons I've Learned By The Time I Turned 19

Don't take life too seriously.

99
Wall Paper Cave

For those fellow kids who are not yet 19, or for those who are older and looking to reminisce, I thought what better way to share what I've learned and what I wish I learned before I turned 19.

1. Failure is good.

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently

2. You can't make everyone happy.

Once you finally realize that it's basically impossible to make everyone happy, your life will become so much easier

3. Don't believe every "I'm sorry."

People become very good at saying I'm sorry, but never actually meaning it. Next time someone says sorry to you respond with "prove it?" and until they can prove what they did was wrong and they are sorry for it, forget about them.

4. Your first love, wont be your last.

Yes, obviously some relationships work out but just because your 16 and you get your first boyfriend and he finally says I love you doesn't mean you won't finally realize that he's not the guy you're suppose to end up with

5. Put yourself first.

I realized this the hard way. It's not fair to you even if you always put everyone and their problems before yourself. You deserve to have your own full attention, so don't ever put yourself on the back burner

6. Don't take life too seriously.

You only live once, so live it up. Have fun with your friends, and do stupid things. Because you won't remember those nights you stayed in a studied, you'll remember the friends and the memories you made.

7. Live everyday like it's your last.

Don't take life for granted, you only get one chance at it.

8. Appreciate your parents.

Your parents aren't going to be around forever, so appreciate them and spend time with them while you still can.

9. Hangout with your siblings.

You have siblings for a reason so spend time with them, and enjoy the time you have with them. One day you all wont be living under the same roof anymore, and then is when you will regret not spending enough time with them.

10. Don't take things for granted.

It's the little things in life that matter most, so don't take anything for granted.

11. Smile.

Smile, smile, smile. No matter what's going on in life, wake up every day, and put a smile on your face. You won't regret it.

12. People are not always talking about you.

Not everyone is talking about you, but then again if they are who cares? It doesn't matter what other people think about you.

13. Forgive everyone, but never forget.

Forgive everyone no matter how much they did wrong to you, but never forget what they did to you.

14. Trust your gut.

That feeling in your gut is there for a reason, so listen to it and trust it.

15. Get rid of negative and toxic people.

Get rid of those people who give you no joy in life, it's not worth it. If all they are is negative and complain about everything you do and say, you don't need that in your life so get rid of them. A handful of good friends is better than 100 toxic friends.

16. Save money.

Save money all the time, you'll never know when you'll need it.

17. Accept change.

Change is a good thing. So step out of your comfort zone, you might meet people, and learn things you never thought you would.

18. Your friends in college will be the greatest people you meet.

College isn't about finding the man you want to marry, it's about finding the best girlfriends to stand up at your wedding with you

19. It's okay to lose friendships.

Not all friendships will last forever, and the sooner you realize that the better off you are. So it's okay if you lose friendships throughout your life, it's normal. I believe that you have to let people go. Everyone who's in your life are meant to be in your journey, but not all of them are meant to stay until the end.

Be young. Have fun. Stop trying to grow up so fast, you will regret it and wish you were young again.