19 Bible Verses For Your 19th Birthday

19 Bible Verses For Your 19th Birthday

From laziness to anger to temptation, there’s a verse for it.

1896
19 Bible Verses For Your 19th Birthday

On May 29th, I celebrated my birthday. It wasn’t until I turned 19 that I even gave much thought to that specific age. 18 is special for obvious reasons, and 20 is special because you’re in a new decade that society takes seriously (and one year closer to 21). Nineteen is in between. You’re still technically a teenager, but you wouldn’t really describe yourself as one; however, you definitely wouldn’t say you’re a full-fledged adult either.

To celebrate this in-between year, I’ve compiled 19 Bible verses that address issues relevant to 19-year-olds. From laziness to anger to temptation, there’s a verse for it.

1. Stress

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” — Matthew 11:28-30

No matter if you’re in college, the workforce, or already starting a family, you understand stress. It’s an inevitable part of life. However, God promises that his burden is light. Take some time to be still when you’re feeling overwhelmed. It won’t make all your responsibilities go away, but it will make things a little easier to tackle.

2. Temptation

“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13

We’re all tempted, especially in our late teens when we’re surrounded by college shenanigans and we have underdeveloped brains to cope with the pressure. 1 Corinthians 10:13 assures us that we can resist our temptations, whatever they may be, because God is faithful and helps us endure them. That’s pretty empowering, if you ask me.

3. Boredom

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.”Philippians 4:4

When you’re mind-numbingly bored and there’s nothing else to do, rejoice in the Lord. Count the things you’re grateful for. Usually when I’m bored I thank God that I don’t have too much on my plate.

4. Laziness

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.” Colossians 3:23

Do your homework as if you’re doing it for God. The same can go for washing dishes, taking out the trash, or any other boring, mundane task. It makes you a lot more motivated knowing that you’re doing something for the one who loves you most rather than just for no reason at all.

5. Anger

“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”Proverbs 15:1

Lay off the subtweeting and petty remarks. Refraining from needless drama and hasty, bitter replies will save you (and everyone around you) a lot of grief.

6. Being “too young”

“Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.”1 Timothy 4:12

It can be hard to be taken seriously at 19, probably because the age still has teen in it. The Bible tells us that we can still set an example for others even if we’re small fries.

7. Being “old”

“Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days.”Job 12:12

There are other times when we get nostalgic and wish we were in kindergarten taking naps and eating Lunchables. It’s important to remember that although kindergarten may have been less stressful for most of us, we have gained a lot of wisdom and life experience that we obviously didn’t have at five years old.

8. Self-esteem

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”

It’s easy to get down on ourselves, but remembering that we are God’s masterpiece, and that He has a plan for our lives, helps lift the spirit a little bit.

9. Friendship

“Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.”Psalm 27:17

Surround yourself with friends who build you up and encourage you to be your best this year!

10. Family

“My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching.”Proverbs 6:20

If your parents were loving and healthy figures in your life, always remember to stay true to the things they taught you. My mom always taught me to wash my sheets frequently, and I paid the price (of dust) for forsaking that teaching my freshman year.

11. Romance

“How beautiful and pleasant you are, O loved one, with all your delights!”Song of Solomon 7:6

If you’re in a relationship and you want to make your boyfriend or girlfriend’s day, text them this verse. Brighten their day with a little bit of Bible!

12. Beauty and appearance

“People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."1 Samuel 16:7

When you’re having a bad hair day, it’s good to remember that the Lord sees your heart, and it is beautiful in His sight.

13. Worry

“Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.”1 Peter 5:7

Lay down all your worries before the Lord. Visualizing yourself packaging them up and sending them to heaven can make your burden a little bit lighter.

14. Caring for yourself

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own.”1 Corinthians 6:19

Need a little motivation to get to the gym? Read 1 Corinthians 6:19! God has blessed you with a body, and respecting it means you’re respecting His creation. In the same way, being unkind to it means you’re destroying what God made. Try to avoid doing anything that could damage yourself.

15. Wisdom

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”James 1:5

We all lack a little wisdom at 19, let’s be honest. We do stupid things we end up regretting. Asking God for wisdom can help us think before we act, saving us from unpleasant consequences.

16. Sex

“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.”1 Corinthians 6:18

Sex! It’s sadly taboo, especially within Christian circles, but I think we should be talking about it more. I’m a progressive and I personally believe that the exact definition of sexual immorality is between the individual and God. For example, sexual immorality for me is defined as casual sex, because I saw how it caused me sadness and anxiety.

17. Sadness

“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”Psalm 34:18

On days when all you want to do is lay in bed and eat leftover cake while crying, remember that God is close to you. He’s not going anywhere, no matter who else has left.

18. Hope

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”Jeremiah 29:11

God has a plan for you. You’re going to get through whatever you’re going through.

And finally...

19. Psalm 19

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”Psalm 19:1

Straight from the 19th chapter of the 19th book of the Bible. Look up at God’s beautiful sky and celebrate His plan in your life. May your year be blessed!