Last week, I turned 19 so I took some time to look back on 19 things I learned in my first 19 years. I've learned more than 19 things, but here are some from the top of my head that I've learned both the easy way and the hard way.
1. Your value does not depend on what others think of you
Don't stress out when someone dislikes you because your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth.
2. High school will not be the best four years of your life and that's okay
Don't feel bad because you're miserable in high school. You're not weird, there isn't anything wrong with you, some of us don't peak in high school and that's perfectly okay.
3. Friends come and go but family is forever
Your siblings and your parents will always have your back, always.
4. It's okay to cry when you move away to college
Even if you're only moving 15 minutes away and still see your family five times a week.
5. Don't put metal bowls in the microwave
Aluminum is also metal, just FYI...
6. Nobody will ever embarrass you like your siblings do
Just when you think you can't be more embarrassed, they one up themselves...
7. Don't let your brothers know who you're interested in
You will never, ever hear the end of it.
8. Listen to your friends when they tell you that you could do better than him
They just want what's best for you and don't want to see you hurt. They know you and they know that you're so much better than what he could ever give you.
9. He is not the sun, you are
Words of wisdom from Grey's Anatomy. Don't let anyone become the center of your universe, especially a guy, because you are the center of your universe.
10. You're never too old to need your mom
Never, ever, ever, are you too old to need your mother.
11. Always tell your mom you love her before you go to bed
It's not lame, it's not weird, I promise.
12. Always carry a pen and paper with you
You never know when you need to write something down.
13. If you have a business card, carry them with you everywhere
You never know who you are going to meet and what kind of connections you will make, always be prepared.
14. Call your mom whenever you need her
Even if it's a quarter to midnight and you're crying over a stupid boy.
15. It's okay to cry over a stupid boy
As stupid as you may feel afterward, it's okay to cry over a stupid boy who ignores you one day and acts like he has feelings for you the next.
16. Pursue your passions
Don't let people cut down the things you love. Chase the things you're passionate about and pursue them relentlessly.
17.Speak up for what you believe in.
Find what you're passionate about and speak up and speak out and don't let anyone tell you to sit down and shut up. You can read my article about standing up here.
18. Everything happens for a reason
Yes it's cheesy, yes it's cliche, but it's also true.
19. Your family isn't always people who are related to you
Sometimes you're lucky enough to make friends who become closer than family. You can check out my article I wrote to my "family" here.