18 Things I've Learned In 18 Years

18 Things I've Learned In 18 Years

All the wisdom and advice you'd want to receive from an 18 year old!

436
18 Things I've Learned In 18 Years
pexels.com

As I enter adulthood, I've been reflecting on everything that has contributed to making me into the person I am today. Eighteen years is a long time to be alive, and over the course of that time, I have learned many lessons and learned how to become my own person. Perhaps, one could say eighteen is considered adulthood because you have become self-aware and discovered who you were meant to be. For me, eighteen is just another age. Besides the fact that I can legally buy lottery tickets, everyone is constantly growing into the person they were meant to be, whether they are twelve, twenty-five, or seventy-four. So for now, here is a short list of what I have learned in my 18 years of life. As the years go by, I hope to add more to it.

1. One best friend is so much better than ten friends who don't know the REAL you

Quality over quantity.

2. Sleep is more important than studying

You can only study for so long. For me, after 1am, my brain cannot process any more information. It's more beneficial to go to sleep rather than cram.

3. The best gift you can give someone is an experience.

As I look back on my life so far, some of my favorite memories exist because of an experience, a concert, trip, or a simple outing.

4. You don't need to share your entire life on Facebook.

If checking into every restaurant you go to or sharing with the world every college your son gets into floats your boat, go for it. But remember, you don't need reassurance from facebook friends that you're living life to the fullest.

5. Hydrate or Die-trate

Drinking water is a forgotten necessity. It is an easy way to look and feel better, however, we often take it for granted.

6. Social Media isn't a place for ranting.

The purpose of social media accounts is to keep up with your friends and family. Before this new era of technology, if you needed to rant you would call your best friend, talk to your mom, or let it out in person to someone. Before you rant about your problems on social media, be considerate of others and their opinions.

7. Discovering your personal music taste is important

Music can change a persons mood, and knowing what genres and artist you like can make whatever you're doing, whether studying or just on a long car ride, that much more enjoyable.

8. Find a Balance

Whether it's a balance between family and friends or work and play, balance is the key to life.

9. Social Media Cleanses are eye-opening

If you've never been on one, definitely try it. Going without Facebook or Snapchat for a week is hard, however, you discover so much about yourself and how much social media plays a role in your life.

10. Tell your family and friends you appreciate them.

If I've learned one thing in 18 years, it's definitely that things can change in an instant. You never know when the last time you have the chance to talk to your loved ones is.

11. Life's too short to not be doing what you love.

It's cliche, but true. Spending eternity miserable is not living life at all. Be spontaneous and do what you love.

12. That being said, take risks, but within reason.

Taking risks is what makes life fun and interesting, however, don't do anything that could permanently hurt you.

13. Don't cry over someone who takes you for granted.

Not worth it.

14. Spending a Friday Night in watching Netflix can be so much better than going out

Every once in a while, it's needed. Grab a good book or your laptop, some tea, get comfy, and spend the night in.

15. Procrastination is a bad habit

"I'll just do it tomorrow" turns into "I'll get to it next week" which means it's never getting done.

16. Trying to please everyone is IMPOSSIBLE

No matter how hard you try, someone will always rain on your parade and tell you what you're doing wrong. Just learn to accept you can't please everyone!

17. Plain Starbucks coffee is overpriced and underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong- I love Starbucks, but not for their coffee. As a coffee lover, I find Starbucks coffee to be subpar. Their lattes and specialty drinks are good for what they are, but if I want a plain cup of joe I'd prefer making it myself!

18. Growing up is unavoidable.

Growing up is scary and unknown. I've thought to myself many times "I just want to leave this town and live on my own!" However next year, I'm definitely going to miss the comforts of home. For now, living in the moment is a good way to go about life.