18 Underappreciated One Direction Songs

18 Underappreciated One Direction Songs

"What Makes You Beautiful" isn't their only song.

3885
18 Underappreciated One Direction Songs
Twitter

I've never been ashamed of my love of One Direction. For the past five years, they have taken up most of my time and energy and I have no regrets. I've always been open about my "obsession," making it known to pretty much anyone that talks to me for more than five minutes that they're basically my entire world.

Because of this, I've dealt with many people who think certain things about me or the band. They believe wrong stereotypes about "fan girls" and "boy bands". Most of the time, it's pointless to try and sway them the other way. Many people are set in their ways and opinions of what it means to be a fan of One Direction and they certainly aren't willing to entertain the thought that... *gasp*... One Direction might actually be a great band with more substance than previously assumed.

A lot of people know them only from their first single "What Makes You Beautiful" and, as a fan, that is so unfortunate. While I love these boys with all my heart, I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to say that I don't like that song. In fact, compared to their latest work, their first album isn't all that great. It was the beginning of their career, they were just teenagers, they didn't have any creative control, and so they released the classic bubblegum-pop album that boy bands tend to be known for.

But their catalog of songs has grown monumentally and the quality of said songs has blown the first album out of the water. I'm here, as a One Direction fan and as someone that wants to help you change your mind about this band, to persuade you into listening to some songs that you may not have heard before. And I promise you, none of these sound like "What Makes You Beautiful", don't worry. I've included all albums (even the first one) to give you a better appreciation for the later stuff. Even in the fandom, some of these songs have fallen under the radar and I think it's time we bring them back.

So here we go. Here are the hidden gems of One Direction.

Album 1- Up All Night (2011)

1. "Tell Me A Lie"

Written by: Kelly Clarkson, Tom Meredith, and Sheppard Solomon.

Lyric you'll love: "Tell me anything but don't you say he's what you're missing."

Why you should listen: Kelly Clarkson originally recorded the demo for it but eventually gave it to One Direction after she felt it didn't fit with the rest of her album. The lyrics dredge up the pain of knowing things aren't going well in a relationship but wanting to play pretend just a little while longer. While the album containing this track is full of pop, this one is the first one with a rock edge to it. It has some great guitar bits in it and is truly brought to life by past member Zayn Malik's outstanding vocals.

2. "Save You Tonight"

Written by: RedOne, BeatGeek, Jimmy Joker, Teddy Sky, AJ Junior, Alaina Beaton, and Savan Kotecha.

Lyric you'll love: "I can't be no superman but for you I'll be superhuman."

Why you should listen: This song is a pop number but it's still unlike the others in a way that makes it stand out. The start of the song will frighten you greatly if you aren't expecting it but you'll soon find yourself jamming to it. It's a beat-driven song and is one the boys of One Direction all have a chance to shine on. Even if pop isn't necessarily your thing, this song may just turn out to be your guilty pleasure.

Album 2 - Take Me Home (2012)

3. "Over Again"

Written by: Ed Sheeran, Robert Conlon, and Alexander Gowes.

Lyric you'll love: "Tell me with your mind, body, and spirit. I can make your tears fall down like the showers that are British."

Why you should listen: If it's written by Ed Sheeran, you know it's going to be good. This is the second song that Ed Sheeran wrote on this album (he also wrote "Little Things") and is one of the most lyrically beautiful songs I have ever heard. Everything you would expect from an Ed Sheeran song (gorgeous lyrics, acoustic guitar heavy) are all there and the song is made insurmountably better by the vocals. Each boy gets their time to shine and they all come together to harmonize so beautifully during the chorus. This song is simple and perfect to listen to on a cold rainy day.

4. "She's Not Afraid"

Written by: Julian Bunetta, Jamie Scott, John Ryan, and Tim Wood.

Lyric you'll love: "She's not afraid of running wild. How come she's so afraid of falling in love?"

Why you should listen: The only way to properly listen to this song is to dance like One Direction in the GIF above. This song has a strong chorus with great harmonies mixed in with a catchy melody. It's one of those songs that very easily gets stuck in your head but since it's such a good tune you won't complain. This song builds and builds all the way to its upbeat end. It's unique and a total standout on the album even if it is only a bonus track.

5. "Irresistible"

Written by: Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones, Dougie Poynter, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson.

Lyric you'll love: "Heartache flips my world around. I'm falling down, down, down."

Why you should listen: If you're not familiar with the first three names listed in the songwriting credits above, these three are members of the British band McFly. McFly have been around for over ten years now and have established themselves permanently in the British music scene. They are some of the greatest modern songwriters of our generation and this song is proof of that. The soft guitar, the gorgeous harmonies, and the wonderful lyrics make this song one of One Direction's best songs to date. I encourage you all to check out McFly as well. They are a great band that deserves more American media attention.

Album 3 - Midnight Memories (2013)

6. "Strong"

Written by: Louis Tomlinson, John Ryan, Jamie Scott, and Julian Bunetta.

Lyric you'll love: "People always trying to escape it. Move on to stop their heart breaking. But there's nothing I'm running from. You make me strong."

Why you should listen: This song right here is my all-time favorite One Direction song to date. It includes some of the most vivid and captivating imagery of any One Direction song, created by one of the band members (and best songwriter in the band, in my opinion) Louis Tomlinson. Although I'm pretty biased because I may or may not love him to bits and may or may not have a tattoo in his handwriting. But that's beside the point. The point is, "Strong" has a heartwarming message about unapologetic and unfailing love. It's beyond beautiful and, if you only listen to one song on this list, make it this one.

7. "Right Now"

Written by: Ryan Tedder, Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles, and Liam Payne.

Lyric you'll love: "Lights go down and the night is calling to me. I hear voices singing songs in the street."

Why you should listen: Ryan Tedder, lead songwriter on this tune, is the lead singer of the band OneRepublic and is easily one of the best songwriters to date. "Right Now" starts out quiet and unassuming, Louis' vocals causing a feeling of warmth and comfort to wash over you. It then picks up, a heavier beat making an appearance, eventually leading up to the anthemic chorus. This song was made for stadiums. The Zayn lead vocal mixed with the harmonious Liam make this song a front-runner.

8. "Through The Dark"

Written by: Jaime Scott, Toby Smith, Louis Tomlinson, and Liam Payne.

Lyric you'll love: "When the night is coming down on you, we will find a way through the dark."

Why you should listen: If you're a fan of bands such as Mumford and Sons, you'll like this track. It's an upbeat guitar tune with powerful and unassuming lyrics. The song is about sacrifice, about unconditional love, about always being there for somebody regardless of what the circumstances are. It's a very different sound and is not only a standout on the album but also in One Direction's entire repertoire.

Album 4 - FOUR (2014)

9. "Where Do Broken Hearts Go?"

Written by: Harry Styles, Julian Bunetta, Rutheanne Cunningham, Teddy Geiger, and Ali Tamposi.

Lyric you'll love: "So I built you a house from a broken home and I wrote you a song with the words you spoke."

Why you should listen: The only word that comes to mind to describe this song is anthemic. Much like "Right Now", it starts out unassuming and simple, with a basic piano tune. However, this song only continues to build and get stronger as it continues. With Harry Styles as the lead songwriter, the lyrics that came out of this track are breathtaking, with the one I stated above just being one of many.

10. "18"

Written by: Ed Sheeran and Oliver Frank

Lyric you'll love: "Let's split the night wide open and we'll see everything."

Why you should listen: Yet another Ed Sheeran song and yet another song that will make you feel all the feels. The acoustic guitar makes this song so intimate, so raw, so real. The lyrics tell a story of everlasting love, soulmates, and sacrifice. No matter how cheesy the subject is, the way Ed was able to write about it makes it anything but. And don't even get me started on Louis' vocal during the bridge. The pain, the emotion, all of it can be heard in just a few words. No one brings the feels like Louis Tomlinson.

11. "Fireproof"

Written by: Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Jamie Scott, Julian Bunetta, and John Ryan.

Lyric you'll love: "Nobody saves me, baby, the way you do."

Why you should listen: This song should have been released as a single. For sure. And I'm still quite bitter about it. This song shows a deep maturity within the band and their lyrical abilities. The fact that Liam and Louis are lead writers on this track speaks volumes. The old-school vibes, reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac, bring with them a feeling of peace and happiness. It's just so lovely in that it is unassuming.

12. "Spaces"

Written by: Julian Bunetta, John Ryan, Jamie Scott, Louis Tomlinson, and Liam Payne.

Lyric you'll love: "Who's gonna be the last one to drive away, forgetting every single promise we ever made?"

Why you should listen: There seems to be some subliminal messages about Zayn's departure from the group in this one. But that doesn't take away the beauty from this song. The harmonies alone are enough to make you weep uncontrollably, let alone the lyrics themselves and the meaning of the song. Like so many of their other songs, this one builds to a beautiful end, both musically and literally if you look at it as a conversation between the rest of the band and Zayn.

Album 5 - Made In The A.M. (2015)

13. "If I Could Fly"

Written by: Johan Carisson, Harry Styles, and Ross Galon.

Lyric you'll love: "I've got scars even though they can't always be seen. And pain gets hard but now you're here and I don't feel a thing."

Why you should listen: No song has ever made me cry as profoundly as this one has. It's a song about deep and unwavering love, about hope, about understanding. There really isn't much for me to say on this one, other than please listen to it immediately. But make sure you have tissues ready. If there was ever going to be a complete opposite to "What Makes You Beautiful", this would be it. And after listening to it, you'll need to grab all your friends and hug it out like the boys are doing above.

14. "What A Feeling"

Written by: Jamie Scott, Mike Needle, Daniel Bryer, Louis Tomlinson, and Liam Payne.

Lyric you'll love: "When the air ran out and we both started running wild, the sky fell down."

Why you should listen: If you liked "Fireproof", you'll like this one maybe even more. Viewed in the fandom as "Fireproof 2.0", "What A Feeling" brings back those Fleetwood Mac vibes. The song is the ultimate song to chill out to and yet has a great beat to move to, much like the three boys are demonstrating above.

15. Love You Goodbye

Written by: Louis Tomlinson, Julian Bunetta, and Jacob Kasher.

Lyric you'll love: "Is it something that can be negotiated? My heart's already breaking, baby. Go on and twist the knife."

Why you should listen: Damn Louis, back at it again with the tear-jerkers. The concept alone is breath-taking- having one last beautiful night with someone before the inevitable goodbye. The feeling of holding on and not wanting to let go can be heard in the lyrics and the desperate cries of their voices. All around, this is a gorgeous song with a powerful chorus that can't be missed.

16. "Walking In The Wind"

Written by: Harry Styles, Jamie Scott, John Ryan, and Julian Bunetta.

Lyric you'll love: "If you're lost, just look for me. You'll find me in the region of the summer stars."

Why you should listen: Yet another beautifully crafted song by the one and only Harry Styles. The simple start to it is unassuming but it soon builds to a mega chorus. I rate songs by how good they sound while driving and this one for sure is a 10/10. Roll your windows down, drive down a seldom-travelled back road, and let this masterpiece wash over you. Let the thought of a long-lost love returning to you bring you peace.

17. "A.M."

Written by: Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Ed Drewett, Julian Bunetta, John Ryan, and Wayne Hector.

Lyric you'll love: "You and me were raised in the same part of town. Got these scars on the same ground."

Why you should listen: Arguably the best song on One Direction's latest album, "A.M." is a song that screams nostalgia. Whether it reminds you of family, of friends, of past loves, we all can relate to it in some way. It is a song that reminisces on the simpler times but also looks forward to the future, reminding us that "we're all gonna make it". This track is acoustic-heavy and once again has a very chill vibe to it.

18. "Home"

Written by: Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, and Jamie Scott.

Lyric you'll love: "It's alright calling out for somebody to hold tonight."

Why you should listen: While this is not technically on Made In The A.M. (it was actually on the Perfect EP), it's pretty much looked at as another track. Seen as the response to "If I Could Fly", "Home" has strong LGBTQ+ undertones. It starts with female pronouns and talks about how "there was something missing in her eyes". Eventually, the song changes to gender neutral pronouns and talks about finally finding what you're looking for. "Home" sounds different from all of their other songs and has a much more mature sound. It builds beautifully and the lyrics tell a story that needs to be heard.

Do you agree with my list? Are there any songs you wish had been included? What is your favorite One Direction song? Let me know in the comment section below!