18 Things I Miss About SHA

18 Things I Miss About SHA

Anything from the chapel light above to the statue in the hall.

31
18 Things I Miss About SHA
Hannah Davis

I can't believe that it's been a year since I graduated from Sacred Heart. Going into my first year of college, I realized that I was adjusting to a whole new environment. I actually had to put together outfits, instead of wearing a uniform. College would be the first time that I had gone to classes with boys since I was 13. Or you could trip up or down the stairs and someone would be there to ask if you were ok or help you up instead of laugh at you. Like Mrs. Demert said, "You aren't an official SHA girl until you trip up the stairs." So here is a list of 18 things that I miss the most about SHA!

1. You had 100+ sisters

You spent 4 years with 100+ girls. Watching everyone grow from shy, awkward freshmen to

amazing young women.

2. Uniforms

Wearing uniforms saved me at least 20 minutes that went towards choosing my outfit. Plus they were stylish!

3. Jesus Statue

The Jesus Statue was the place where everyone took pictures, or if you were me, give it a high five whenever you walked past it.

4. Boundary Ball

Boundary Ball was the one day in Gym class (Oops, I mean Physical Education) when everyone went hard.

5. A Welcoming Environment

SHA has always been a school that welcomed students with open arms, especially when Holy Angels was closed.

6. Spirit Week

The greatest week of the school year! Where there were wacky theme days, with fun assemblies at the end of the day.

7. Class Dance

When the whole class does a 5-6 minute dance/karaoke routine on the last day of Spirit Week. Throwback to when the red Class of 2015 won the class dance freshman year!

8. Shouties

Shouties are the female version of the rowdies! (Still stuck in my head to this day!) Shouties always knew how to show their support during games.

9. Drill Team Performances Were Always Lit

The Drill Team, run by yours truly, was the greatest, even if there were 6 members. And who could forget our motto, “Break It Down Now” and our hashtag “#PuppyZombieEagle." We always knew how to steal the show!

10. St. Francis Outdoor Mass

The one mass we had outside for the groundbreaking of the gym, and the grand opening. You know it wasn't official until the Chamber Singers sang "Ordinary Miracle." Then Sister Maria inspired us with the song "I Hope You Dance."

11. Sharks Eat Gators

Sharks pretty much eat everything... especially gators!

12. Class Retreats

Class retreats was the one day you got to miss a day of school, and bond with your SHA sisters. The most emotional retreats were the freshman and senior ones. The freshman one was basically you getting to know one another, and tell touching stories of when God was present in your life. The senior retreat was bittersweet, because it was the one of the last few days you got to spend with your class.

13. Seniors' Last Day

Each year, you didn't know what to expect with what the senior prank would be. But the last day for the seniors is filled with nothing but fun, for the seniors of course, but if you were an underclassman it was just a normal day of classes.

Last year for our senior prank we all came to school early, and by early I mean very EARLY! So around 5-6am we all pitched tents, brought breakfast and danced to music. During the day we would all pack in one classroom and have a dance party. Then at the end of the day at 2:50 we all stormed around the school, all meeting in front of the cafeteria. Hugging, crying, cheering, dancing, singing, celebrating the fact that high school was over.

14. Senior Leadership Projects

The seniors each year always did a great job for the senior leadership projects. You had quite a range of different projects, from Locks for Lyons, where students and faculty cut their hair in honor of a teacher who was battling cancer, to the SHA Coffee House, where the proceeds went towards the music department.

15. Service Hours

Each year SHA girls were required to do at least 20 hours of community service each year. Doing community service hours all four years (I don't mean to brag but, 465.5 hours to be exact!) made me realize that I loved to help people. Plus I had a lot of fun while doing it, from the Annual WNY Down Syndrome Parent Group Christmas Party, to the Day of SHAring!

16. B-Days

You knew it was a B-Day when you heard Beyonce playing between classes. Long live Beyonce Club!

17. Renovations at SHA

During my four years at SHA, I got to witness two renovations. The grand opening of the Sisters of St. Francis Wing during my sophomore year, and the unveiling of the new gym between my junior and senior year.

18. Lunch Periods

Lunch was the one period where everyone rushed from classes to get in the lunch line or to use the microwaves. And who couldn't resist the smell of burning popcorn in the afternoon?

My advice to all the current SHA girls -- make the best of your years because you don't go to high school twice.