18 Words That Mean Something Different To Notre Dame Students

635
hercampus.com

All Notre Dame students know that our school is a unique place. Outsiders may become extremely confused about some of our terminology. Here are some words that mean something very different to Notre Dame students than to everyone else:

1. RA

Everyone else: someone who cleans up puke and busts freshmen

Notre Dame Students: one of the nicest, most organized people you know

2. Air conditioning

Everyone else: something that keeps you cool when it’s hot

Notre Dame Students: a privilege for the lucky half of campus

3. Parietals

Everyone else: ???

Notre Dame Students: The bane of our existence or a good excuse to go to bed at a decent hour

4. Fishbowl

Everyone else: a home for fish

Notre Dame Students: more crowded during finals week than SDH at 12:30

5. Fever

Everyone else: when your temperature is above 98.6 degrees

Notre Dame Students: Michiana’s hottest night club

6. Salsa’s

Everyone else: a dip for chips

Notre Dame Students: the best thing South Bend has to offer on a Wednesday

7. Crossroads

Everyone else: a place where two roads meet

Notre Dame Students: the largest, most obnoxious construction project ever and we won’t even get to benefit from it

8. Hip Hop Night

Everyone else: a night of hip hop music

Notre Dame Students: a dark, sweaty, desperate place you frequented freshman year

9. Game Day

Everyone else: the day of a sporting event

Notre Dame Students: the most incredible 6 Saturdays of the school year

10. The Shirt

Everyone else: um, a shirt?

Notre Dame Students: the often disappointing uniform for every football game

11. Bookstore

Everyone else: a place to buy books

Notre Dame Students: a ripoff

12. Dining Hall

Everyone else: a place with subpar food

Notre Dame Students: a place with an overwhelming number of food options that always manage to get old by the end of the semester

13. Winter

Everyone else: a season

Notre Dame Students: the coldest, most miserable six months of the year that you can never seem to escape

14. Alumni

Everyone else: a graduate of a school

Notre Dame Students: a smelly boy’s dorm OR the cool, old people who takeover campus on game day and give you jobs when you graduate

15. Carroll

Everyone else: a woman’s name

Notre Dame Students: the last dorm you would ever go to except during Christmas

16. Beach

Everyone else: a beautiful, sunny place on the ocean
Notre Dame Students: a small strip of sand on St. Joseph Lake that’s too cold 99% of the year
17. The Rock
Everyone else: a former professional wrestler turned actor
Notre Dame Students: a place utterly lacking in workout machines

18. Irish

Everyone else: people from Ireland

Notre Dame Students: a community of fantastic people and the best sport's mascot around

Go Irish!