17 Struggles That Will Make A Midwesterner Say ‘Ope, I Go To School In The South’

Southern accents are kind of like a foreign language.
53271

After moving to Georgia from Michigan, I have noticed, even after years of being here, the challenges that come with staying true to my roots down south.

1. When everyone else is wearing pants and a jacket, but you're in shorts because "it's kind of hot today."

2. Saying "y'all" comes naturally now, but it will never sound quite right.

3. No matter how long you've been in the south, you will still hear your accent come out regularly.

Conveniently at the worst possible times.

4. Having to defend the Great Lakes.

Let's be real, a day on Lake Michigan is better than a day at the beach.

5. Caramel vs "carmel" pronunciation.

I'm right, you're wrong. End of story.

6. YES, college football is just as important to us as it is to the SEC.

In fact, we do it better up north.

7. Feeling like you're the only one who knows how to drive when it flurries.

Or rains, or is cloudy, or anything other than sunny and 75 for that matter.

8. Bell's > Sweetwater.

Oberon will always be better.

9. When the Stanley Cup playoffs are just around the corner and no one understands your excitement.

Come on, it's the best time of year.

10. Having a hard time understanding people that have a heavy accent.

No matter how long I live here, I will always have trouble understanding someone when they start talking about "down yonder."

11. You have only, and will only, drive a Chevy.

Motor City, duh.

12. Constantly being made fun of for saying "ope." (Is that not a thing down here?)

13. Getting "snowed in" after one inch of snow when really it should be just another day.

14. Everyone wants to make small talk.

Southern hospitality is real, and it's great, but look at my RBF and tell me if you still want to talk to me. I promise I won't be offended.

15. Knowing every word to "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock.

Hearing "Summertime in Northern Michigan" really makes me miss those summers.

16. Jason Aldean's "Fly Over States" is your favorite song.

Until you've driven through Indiana, you can't possibly understand.

17. Always saying you want to move "back home"

But in all honesty, I don't know if I could leave my home here now.

Don’t get me wrong, I have loved making a home in Georgia, but I will always and forever wish I was back home. These struggles are my daily reminders of Michigan, and I know I can’t be the only one.