17 Songs To Encourage The College Christian

Digging In The Word While Running To Your 8 AM

1709
A Leap Of Faith

In college, it's so easy to get discouraged. In so many ways, this is more of a transition than any other point in our lives. Especially for Christians, college can be so disheartening because we so rarely have time to bask in the glory of God. This is when we most need His encouragement, so it's beyond unfortunate that this is a time when our relationship with God tends to dwindle. Even though nothing can be a substitute for time in the Word, here's a list of songs to encourage you even when you're running late to your least favorite class :)

1. It Is Well (Bethal Music)

This song seems to be everywhere, and that's for a reason. There is almost no other song that can better remind us that in a lost and falling world, our soul is in His Hands.

2. Alive (Hillsong Young and Free)

"You are alive in us" isn't just where the bass drops (kinda) in this song, but a powerful line that reminds us that God is in control, all powerful, and that power is living in us!

3. Love Come Down (North Point InsideOut)

This is really just a feel good song about how Jesus redeemed us, and how we praise Him! If you're like me, you like to party for the Lord (in a dance-jump way, not a drink-hump way) and this is the perfect encouraging song.

4. Give Me Jesus

This hymn and choral song is a classic, and it's truly haunting melody really helps me get in touch with my spirituality and feel close to God. This song feels sacred, and helps me remember what matters and where my heart is when I get bogged down in tests and stress.

5. Holy (Wedding Day) (The City Harmonic)

"This is the story of the Son of God hanging on a cross for me." These words say all that needs to be said. When I want to be in awe of what Jesus did for me, washing me clean, and how much He loves me, this is the song I listen to. We are the Bride of Christ, and this song is such a good way to remind ourselves what we mean to God.

6. My Beloved (Kari Jobe)

Similar in feeling to the song above, this song really puts into perspective how deep God's love is for us. Most of us don't have children, but can you imagine that depth of love? That's just a shallow reflection of how much God loves us. No matter how far we fall, He sees no stain on us.

7. Oceans (Hillsong United)

I think just about every young Christian in America knows this song. It can get overplayed, and we lose the meaning of it, but what an anthem this is for walking by faith! "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders"-- this can mean a mission field, but it can also be a classroom. We can apply this to trusting Him with the small daily stuff that we only think we can handle.

8. Deep Cries Out (Bethel Church)

This song really doesn't have a lot of spiritual substance. But we are supposed to rejoice for the Lord and dance before Him! This song tells us to dance in the river, and that's what you'll want to do when you hear it. Our relationship with Jesus isn't supposed to be stuffy and boring, it's okay to let your hair down with God.

9. Lion and the Lamb (Big Daddy Weave)

You might be getting caught up on the fact that there's a Christian band called Big Daddy Weave. I did, myself. This song reminds us that God is multifaceted, "roaring in power and fighting our battles" as well as taking on the sins of the world. He is a complex God, and one worthy to be praised.

10. You Make Me Brave (Amanda Cook and Bethel Music)

"You call me out beyond the shore into the waves." This song has honestly given me courage in any situation- from scary movies to witnessing. Honestly, God gives us the power to take out demons in His name. "You Make Me Brave" reminds me that He lives in me and has angel armies by my side.

11. No Longer Slaves (Jonathon David and Melissa Helser)

Who thinks of this song and hears "YOU SPLIT THE SEA SO I COULD WALK! RIGHT! THROUGH! IT!"? I sure do, and that's an amazing thing. We are God's children, and the one who can part seas and wipe out armies is behind us, loving us and calling us His own. With God on our side, we can face the impossible. We no longer have to fear, because He took the weight of the world off of our shoulders when He carried the cross on His own.

12. Pursuit (Jesus Culture)

This is a song that serves to convict me in many cases. Often I'm guilty of ignoring my relationship with God in favor of studying or eating or sleeping. Not that these are bad things, but this song highlights the importance of pursuing Jesus and a relationship with Him; He will not deny us, no matter what we've done.

13. Wake (Hillsong United)

This song gets me really pumped! "You will never fade away, Your love is here to stay," these lyrics are simple but they're so true!!! We serve a God who is beyond time, who is in us and with us forever!

14. Chasing You (Bethel Music)

Public Safety Announcement: In the second verse, when she's saying "you've won me, heart and soul" it sounds like she's a pirate. Emily Salter, that was for you. But that's not even the best part of this song, it's such an encouraging and motivational piece about seeking Jesus. The bridge really reminds me that our relationship with Jesus is dynamic and exciting.

15. Holy Ghost Party (Cory Asbury and IHOP Worship)

I'm not sure if the group is affiliated with the International House of Pancakes, but this song is SO MUCH FUN. Literally, it will have a room of old people jumping and partying for the Lord! What even is a Holy Ghost party, you might ask? It's a revival! It's being happy because you know the Lord's been good to you, and we all need that news on a Monday morning.

16. Fierce (Jesus Culture)

"Your love is fierce," is the key point of this song. Which is true, and we need to hear that more often. It's easy to feel like God's love is impersonal because sometimes our love for Him is. We think that because we can't know perfectly a perfect God, He can't know perfectly imperfect people. That is not true! His love is like a tidal wave, it overcomes every inch of us and He knows us intimately. God is not a God of fear or weakness, but one of power unimaginable.

17. Forever (Kari Jobe)

Guys... The ground began to shake. This line just overwhelms me, the fact that Jesus has the power to overcome the world and to overcome the grave. He is forever, and He is in power. He has overcome our tests, our friends, our relationships, our GPA, MCAT, Bar Exams, everything. The God who rose from the grave is alive today and in your heart if you're a Christian.

I hope this list inspires you and helps you go throughout your day with Him on your mind and by your side.