17 Reasons Why Living With Your Best Friend Is The Best

living with a roommate freshman year is either hit or miss, this is for all the lucky people who got a bestfriend out of it

25

We all moved in to the dorms during what felt like a heat wave. Even if it wasn’t already 90 degrees, it felt pretty close because we were all so nervous. Would we ever figure out campus? Is the caf food any good? But the most daunting question, will my roommate and I get along? This one was especially scary if walking in those doors was the very first time you met your roommate, which seemed to be the case for me as I timidly opened the door to our already packed dorm. Although the first week may have been weird and being away from home was scary, my roommate and I quickly became very good friends, I’d even go as far as to say she’s my person. A fact that I could not be more pleased about because there are so many good things that come from your roommate being your bestie.

1.She won’t judge you when you come home in the middle of the night

If, for whatever reason, on a night out you don’t make it home until five in the morning, you won’t have to fret about her judging your late arrival. She’ll just want to know the story is all. Besides, she’s been there and done that.

2. You always have a lunch date

Did that boy blow you off again? Do you want to eat lunch at 3:30 p.m.? Who else is willing to go to the caf with you no matter if they already ate or not? That’s right, your roommate.

3. You’ll always have someone to rant to

Ah yes, that terrible thing that happened last week that pissed you off more than anything in the world, or you got your first internship, or even just saw a dog on campus. Well your roommate can’t wait to hear about it. Or at least pretend to care while you talk about it for two hours.

4. You have any other [cooler] mom

Being sick at college is probably the worst thing to happen to anyone. But when your roomie and you are besties, you always have someone to take care of you. Whether it's walking with you to Walgreens to get your prescription or making you soup, she has your back until you're ready to party again.

5.You have someone rooting for you

No one in your 500 person lecture hall really cares that you spent 75 hours studying for the test, but your roommate cares. She gets that you gave up going to that date party with a really cute boy just so you could pass ISS, and if anyone wants you to pass that test more than you do, it’s her.

6.She’s your go-to date

Don’t want to show up to that frat by yourself? Or you don’t want to take another boy to your date party, where there is bound to be expectations of an after party? Or you just want to stay in and watch Netflix? Luckily for you, you have a back up date for whatever the case may be, who is probably going to be a more fun date than any boy anyway and will actually let you watch your show.

7.You always have someone who will share their food

Did she order a pizza when you weren’t around? No worries, she made sure there was extra left over for you.

8. She's someone to talk to at 4 a.m.

On the nights where you can’t fall asleep, you can keep your best friend up talking the night away and she won’t even be mad that it’s 4 a.m. and she has an 8 a.m. chem lab.

9. She understands boundaries

To be great besties, you’ll both need some space to do your own thing. She gets this, and although the FOMO may set in when you’re going out and she’s staying in that night, she’ll be okay with the fact that she can’t go with, she knows you’re always coming back home to her (plus, you’ll have killer stories).

9.

10. She’ll hate your high school enemies

You know that girl from your high school who followed you to college that you just can’t stand or the boy who was a total jack ass to you for three years? Yeah, your roomie will hate them too, without even having to meet them! If that doesn’t scream friendship, I don’t know what does?

11. You’ve found your partner in crime

99 percent of the time she’ll go along with any stupid idea you have, unless it could end with you guys being in federal prison. But nonetheless, you’ve got the person who will make sure you don't do stupid things alone, whether it's taking something from a frat as a souvenir or just dancing like a fool, she’ll be sure to do it with you.

12. Double the care packages!!!

What’s mine is yours is taken literally when it comes to care packages. We were right on move-in day that caf food is actually terrible, so those magical boxes filled with freshly baked goods seem to be a gift from heaven. A gift that she graciously shares with you.

13. Two closets

You can’t bring your whole wardrobe to school with you, there’s simply not enough room (unless you’re my roommate, then you do it anyway and keep clothes in your desk) but that’s fine because you’ll have a second closet of all brand new clothesthat you can pick through at your leisure.

14. She doesn’t mind your little quirks

Even if she’s told you 109 times to turn off the light before you leave, she won’t rip you apart for the 110th time you leave it on. She has her quirks too, and by not hating each other for them you can instead make fun of each other for them.

1

15. She’ll rescue you

Is some weirdo is dancing a little too close to you, or you did you make a big mistake you need help getting out of it? No questions asked, shes already prepared three exit plans to get you out of there.

16.You always have someone to call

Walking home alone at night in the creepy part of campus? Or just alone waiting for the bus? You always have someone who will answer their phone no matter what, and will just sit there while you talk about everything so she can hear if anything bad happens while you’re walking home. To which she will quickly look up your location on Find My Friends and be there in a hurry with reinforcements.

17. You’ve a got a bestie for the restie

College is weird, especially freshman year. You're tryingto figure out how much of high school you should hold onto and how much to let go of while trying to determine what college even is. Along for the trip,however, is your roommate. She’s seen you laugh until you cried, wake up looking like you got hit by a bus, or just cry because everything was too much, and she was there for it all in a cool mom way where she gave you your space, but also knew when to give you attention. A talent very few can accomplish. So through the trial and tribulation of college, you found a best friend who you get spend at least another three years with making more memories.