17 Musicals That Should Be Performed Live On TV

There are so many plays that should take the big screen.
75

Recently, famous stars such as Ariana Grande, Vanessa Hudgens, Derek Hough, Julianne Hough, Kristin Chenoweth, Dove Cameron, Carlos PenaVega, Mario Lopez and Carly Rae Jepsen have hit the stage, I mean the screen, to star in musicals that millions of people watched broadcasted live across the globe.

No, it wasn't in a theatre that could hold millions of people (if those even exist). Rather, it was on a set in Hollywood from where NBC broadcast the musical being performed and sung by these stars live, that is being done at the same time in Hollywood as it was on the TV screen, no editing.

On Easter Sunday, John Legend, Alice Cooper, Brandon Victor Dixon and Sara Bareilles hit the stage in Brooklyn, N.Y. to tell the story of the Passion of Jesus Christ through the eyes of Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar: Live in Concert.

I have thought since then that there are so many plays that should have the opportunity to take the screen, as well as the stage, for those who have not, and even those who have had, the opportunity to see them on Broadway.

1. "Wicked"

The musical is jaw-dropping in real-life, but adapting it to a TV special, including the special effects that are part of the show already, would be amazing.

2. "Hamilton"

For all of the people who are *anxiously* waiting to see it on Broadway. Honestly, the set already looks like it belongs on TV.

3. "The Lion King"

Bring back all of the childhood memories and relive a Disney classic. Not to mention, the songs sung Broadway style? Yes, please. Hakuna Matata.

4. "School of Rock"

A classic musical. Having the actors play real instruments on live TV instead of having a voice over/instrument over would be so cool.

5. "Once"

Much like School of Rock, Once is known for live music, so seeing the actors play real instruments without a track would be amazing.

6. "Dear Evan Hansen"

The musical is blowing up Broadway. For everyone who has not yet had the chance to experience it in person, and might never, please give us a Dear Evan Hansen musical on TV. If musical powerhouses were cast for the TV rendition, minds could be blown.

7. "The Phantom of the Opera"

The musical has run on Broadway for a long time, and I feel as though a remake with popular stars may be cool for those who have and haven't yet seen it.

8. "Anastasia"

Another Disney movie turned musical, Anastasia is a fairly new musical that people are just starting to fall in love with.

9. "West Side Story"

I cannot be the only one that wants to see the classic musical with a whole new modern cast.

10. "Aladdin"

Another Disney classic that is popular on the stage. It would be cool for the two forms that it already exists in (movie and Broadway musical) to come together and create "a whole new world," no pun intended.

11. "Spongebob Squarepants"

A childhood classic taking the Broadway stage? Yes, please!

12. "Hello Dolly"

Another classic that would be great to see with an updated cast.

13. "The Color Purple"

The book and the movie are popular, and those who are fans that can't make it to Broadway would benefit from being able to see the musical live on their TV.

14. "Bye Bye Birdie"

Another "oldie, but goodie" musical that would be amazing with a modernized cast.

15. "The Book of Mormon"

A modern musical comedy taking Broadway by storm. If done with a cast of musical powerhouses, the play live on TV would be amazing.

16. "Les Miserables"

A popular classic Broadway musical, book and motion picture. A remake with a modern cast would be amazing to see.

17. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was remade into multiple movies, a book and a musical. For people like myself who were always big fans, it would be so great to see a Broadway musical rendition with a famous cast.