16 Things All Naturally Curly Haired Girls Know Too Well

It's a blessing and a curse.

651

Having curly hair is a blessing and a curse. Girls that rock curly locks make it look effortless but there's a lot of work that goes into maintaining the look and dealing with it on a daily basis. This is for all my curly-haired beauties out there, you know the struggle.

1. "Tangled" stole the title of your autobiography. Now it's back to the drawing board.

Let's get one thing straight, Rapunzel has straight hair, and if she can swing from tree to tree and climb down towers using her hair with ease, she doesn't have a problem with tangles. Not even a little bit. Curly-haired people deal with tangles on a daily basis. You can't just run fingers through curly hair without it getting caught.

2. When the rat's nest decides to make a gracious appearance at the back of your head.

Girl, the back o' your head is RIDICULOUS! No, seriously, it's such a mess it's ridiculous. When the tangles get out of control, there's this large clump of matted up and impossibly tangled hair, most often at the nape of the neck (if you have long hair).There's no choice but to put that up in a bun until you drown that monstrosity in conditioner.

3. The panic when you lose your wide toothed

"What am I supposed to do now? Use a brush?" That's never an option. You need to find that comb!

4. When you brush out your hair, it's awful but a little hilarious.

Brushing out curly hair is a nightmare in the first place, and the end result is cringe-worthy. The only thing you can do with this hair-do is make a killer scarecrow on Halloween.

5. When your curls developed an attitude over night and will not work with you.

Curls have a mind of their own. If a group of strands don't want to be on the left side, no product, technique or sorcery can make those curls stay on the left side. Sometimes they're bent at 90 degree angles or weirdly straight. It's a surprise every morning.

6. You CANNOT help having a huge collection of product, product and more product.

Drawer-fulls of every kind of hair styling product under the sun is normal. Trials and experiments with different goop until you find the right one is inevitable. When you find the right one, it's heaven, it's like finding a soulmate, but then you have nothing to do with the piles and piles of other stuff that will basically forever be your goop collection. C'est la vie.

7. People look at you weird when you mention and/or bust out your diffuser.

What is this contraption you ask? It is the secret to all voluminous and wonderfully styled natural curly hair. Attach it to a hair dryer and it becomes a curly-haired girl's best friend. Here's some before and after picture to really drive it home.

8. It is your ultimate flirting tool, and you know how to use it.

When your hair is flawless, you're pretty much unstoppable. You make sure anybody that's anybody sees what awesome hair you have. Curly haired girls are the hair flip queens.

9. Your worst nightmare is burning off your hair with an iron.

You're terrible at using a curling iron because you never needed to in the past. When you want to try and have that clean, wavy look you see in magazines for a special occasion it can be a little terrifying.

10. Your hair is like Fergie's Humps.

"You can look but you can't touch and if you touch it Imma start some drama. You don't want no drama." - Fergie

Here's what to do when you are with a person that has luscious curly hair. You keep your hands to yourself. Don't run your fingers through it (it's impossible anyway), don't pull on the curls, don't mess up the part by ruffling the top of our heads because you think that's fun and cute (it's not). Make like the Beatles and just Let it Be.

11. But regardless... people will come up and "boing" your hair no matter what you say.

*sighs*

12. #CurlyHairGoals that are so fake it hurts.

This ladies, is the work of a curling iron. It takes hours and it takes hair spray. Kudos to the girls who take time to do this, it's a clean and nice look on its own. However... natural? Far from it. You've learned to disregard conventional and unrealistic beauty standards and embrace your hair as it is, and that's power.

13. When hair gets caught in the back of chairs, car doors, or people.

Having long curly hair means getting it caught in stuff occasionally. You just have to accept it.

14. You get seriously offended when people say your hair is "wavy."

"No...my hair is curly." There is a difference.

15. When someone compliments your straight hair.

"What was wrong with my hair before?" - You in your head

Straightening is a rare occasion but it's good to switch things up once in a while. Keep people on their toes. Just because someone compliments your straight hair doesn't mean they like it better, but it can be easy to think that sometimes.

16. Trying not to let you bomb hair get to your head.

Yes, everyone knows, curly haired girls are effortless sex goddesses. Everyone knows already. So tone it down and don't forget to develop a personality. Because those are important too. Future trophy wives are excused from this rule.