25 Songs That Are Lyrical Masterpieces

25 Songs That Are Lyrical Masterpieces

A small but fine selection of greatness created by words and the most iconic artists of our time.

6768
25 Songs That Are Lyrical Masterpieces
soompi.com

In a world filled with so many beautiful songs, how is it possible to pick a few to highlight? As someone who listens to music while they perform all of their daily tasks, I've taken the time to really soak in a lot lyrics. Some are poetic and classic, some are modern and mainstream. In the haze of media attention most musicians get these days, it's hard to remember that some of them actually produce quality and meaningful lyrics. However, there are many musicians that never get any attention and create some of the most beautiful lyrics I believe have ever graced my ears. These are a few of the countless songs I consider to be timeless and the phrases in them I believe are the best. Whether it be a simple folk-style song with a message or a dramatic ballad, the words in these songs are laced together to create masterpieces. Not by coincidence, many are written by the same person.

1. Hallelujah

2. Burn

3. The Sound of Silence

4. Ribs

5. Ring of Fire

6. The Sound of Music

.

7. Make You Feel My Love

8. Work Song

9. On My Own

10. All the Things You Are

11. In My Life

12. Into the West

13. Like a Rolling Stone

14. Hurt

15. Love Me Tender

16. Stand by Me

As time goes on, we really get to see how songwriters are setting themselves apart from their peers, lyrics have become a phenomenon, we can see it as soon as a new song is released, and most people go directly to the lyrics. There was a study that showed that a person is 71% more likely to repeat on a loop a song that has lyrics that resonate with them.

17. "Big Girls Don't Cry" — Fergie

Memorable Lyrics: "And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket/But I've got to get a move on with my life/It's time to be a big girl now/And big girls don't cry"

18. "Breathe (2am)" — Anna Nalick

Memorable Lyrics: "'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable/And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table/No one can find the rewind button, girl/So cradle your head in your hands And breathe... just breath/Oh breathe, just breathe"

19. "Hey There Delilah" — Plain White T's

Memorable Lyrics: "Hey there Delilah/What's it like in New York City?/I'm a thousand miles away/But girl, tonight you look so pretty"

20. "Closing Time" — Semisonic

Memorable Lyrics: "Closing time/Turn the lights up over every boy and every girl/Closing time/One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer/ Closing time/You don't have to go home but you can't stay here/I know who I want to take me home."

21. "Boston" — Augustana

Memorable Lyrics: "I think I'll go to Boston/I think that I was tired/I think I need a new town/To leave this all behind"

22. "Just the Girl" — The Click Five

23. "Hand In My Pocket" - Alanis Morisette

Memorable Lyrics: I'm broke, but I'm happy. I'm poor, but I'm kind. I'm short, but I'm healthy, yeah. I'm high, but I'm grounded. I'm sane, but I'm overwhelmed

24. "Irreplaceable" — Beyoncé

Memorable Lyrics: So since I'm not your everything, How about I'll be nothing, nothing at all to you. Baby I won't shed a tear for you. I won't lose a wink of sleep. Cause the truth of the matter is replacing you is so easy

25. "Too Little, Too Late" — JoJo

Memorable Lyrics: "I'm gonna say this now/Your chance has come and gone/And you know/It's just too little, too late/A little too long/And I can't wait"