16 Reasons To Watch "Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." Right Now

Say hello to your new favorite show.

669
Flickr

Amidst all the superhero shows that are taking over television, there's only one you need to worry about: "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." A lot of people dismissed it during the first season, and they've since missed out on a truly mind-blowing and incredible show. Plot twist: I was one of those people. I gave up six episodes in, but was lured back by one of the major plot points of the first season. I've been a faithful viewer ever since because this show is pure gold.

Maybe you're one of those who needs to give it a second chance, or maybe you've never seen it and just need a reason to. Well, prepare yourself, because I'm about to give you 15 reasons you should drop whatever it is you're doing and go watch "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."instead.

1. It has a diverse main cast.

As of season 5, we have a black man, a Latina woman, and two Asian women. Out of the seven main cast members, only three are white--and one of their characters is disabled. Representation is important, and this show does not disappoint.

2. Powerful strong ladies who can fight.

There's nothing more incredible than seeing one of the ladies kick someone's butt every week. Most commonly, the women are the ones taking care of business while the two white male leads tend to use their brains over their brawn. It's beautiful to see Mack refer to Daisy as "the muscle" and Coulson stand there while May backflips down a corridor to knock someone out.

However, the women aren't just the stereotypical "strong female characters" who learned all their moves from men in their lives (see: May's mom being her source of inspiration and Daisy only blossoming as a field agent once she's under May's tutelage), nor are they only there to kick butt.

3. They show a broad range of emotion because they are people and not just eye candy.

They scream, they cry, they rage and they break down. They save the day and they make mistakes; they're given a wide berth to be and feel everything because they're rich, complex characters and not just here to be two-dimensional, thank you very much.

4. Ladies supporting ladies and deep female friendships.

When the female characters are this well developed, their friendships with one another are going to be just as rich. They support one another, comfort one another, challenge one another, and have conversations that aren't about men!!! What a concept!!!

5. Healthy male friendships rooted in emotional bonding.

The men in this show are just as fascinating as the women. And instead of being emotionally stunted and afraid of expressing their feelings, the male characters tend to have deep friendships with one another rooted in moments of emotional bonding. The base of their friendships lead to hilarious moments and epic bromances, especially the one between Fitz and Hunter. Their reunion in 5x05, "Rewind," was everything. My skin is clear, my crops are flourishing, my grades are up, and the sun is shining.

6. Platonic male-female friendships.

I'm not sure if Hollywood knew this, but guys and girls can be just friends. This show proves that with beautiful friendships between male and female characters that never veer into a romantic side. Some of the most powerful, emotional moments are between the men and women who are strictly platonic.

7. One of the most iconic love stories.

However, there is one pair of male-female best friends that drifted into romance land. Fitzsimmons (the ship name provided by the show itself, because they're generous like that) is #goals. The characters who started out in season 1 seeming to be mostly the brains and the comic relief have become the source of so much pain and beauty. No other couple in this show--or ever--is as widely shipped and supported by fans and even other characters.

8. Coulson's Dad jokes.

This dude has got jokes for days. Leave it to Coulson to make some kind of pun or quip that will cause you to groan, then laugh.

9. The shotgun-axe.

I know I said that Fitzsimmons is the greatest love story ever told, but Mack/his shotgun-axe might just have them beat.

10. ROBBIE REYES.

MY SON.

Most fans were skeptical when it was announced that Ghost Rider would be making an appearance in season 4, but I think it's safe to say that Gabriel Luna's portrayal blew everyone away and quieted all the skeptics. He's the literal definition of "Looks like they could kill you (and could actually kill you) but is actually a cinnamon roll." We have been truly blessed.

11. Those plots though.

You may recognize those symbols from the third episode of season 1, and yet it's not explained until the next season. This is the kind of planning and foresight the show-runners put into the plot. Things may be hinted at long before they're dealt with, and the payoff is always gratifying. Each season has an overarching plot where everything is connected, and they get better each year.

12. It packs an emotional punch.

This is the only show I've ever legitimately cried over. And it wasn't just once. Nor was it a graceful, single tear rolling down my cheek. It was grotesque sobbing multiple times. I don't know if that means I'm just sensitive, or if it means that these writers know how to rip out your heart and stomp on it in such an artistic way that you'll thank them for it. Possibly a bit of both. The writers are crazy talented, is what I'm trying to say.

13. Character. Development.

The characters aren't static in this show. They change and grow over the seasons; the goofy optimist hardens, the jaded cynic shows her soft side, and the one who doesn't even think of himself as a good person becomes a hero. It's just one more element that adds to the show's dynamic realism.

14. "Self-Control," Season 4, Episode 15. AKA The Episode That Saved Television (basically).

I have watched this one episode six times by now, and that's not even an exaggeration. Jed Whedon wrote and directed an absolutely phenomenal episode--possibly the best episode not only of the series, but of any TV show I've ever seen. The performances given by the actors bring the epic factor up a few notches, and by the end of it you'll want to watch it again.

15. It's so good, it doesn't need the movies now tbh.

"You know, we're approaching 100 episodes. You don't do that with a show that doesn't do well, and doesn't have support from the fans. We kind of constantly get asked if there's something special that will happen, like 'is there someone from the cinematic universe coming to the show?' like... We don't need them! You know what I mean? We're doing very well on our own, with our own show." -- Chloe Bennet, Comic Con 2017.

We went from asking if any of the Avengers were going to guest star on the show to hoping one of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. would appear in the films. The show has come so far, and I personally tend to care more about what happens on the small screen with my S.H.I.E.L.D. children than on the big screen with the Avengers. (Is that heretical? I don't care.)

16. This season??? Is incredible???

Space dystopia? Sign me up! That's some good stuff right there. No spoilers, but basically this season is God's gift to man, and if you're not watching it then what are you doing with your life?

Quick--binge all four seasons on Netflix, then get caught up on ABC or Hulu. Be sure to tune in on Fridays at 9/8c on ABC. If you don't fall in love with this show, you can hold me personally responsible. (But I guarantee that you'll enjoy it and find yourself thanking me. It's that good.)