15 Thoughts Of A Campus Tour Guide

15 Thoughts Of A Campus Tour Guide

Let us guide you In the right direction.

75
15 Thoughts Of A Campus Tour Guide
Austin Rogers

When choosing a college to attend after graduating, you may go on multiple campus tours. Each school does tours differently. Some walk the campus while others will ride in a golf cart. Regardless of the school, you will always have a tour guide. Being a tour guide is an art, it requires knowledge, a welcoming attitude and an endless supply of awkward jokes. Campus tours are not as easy as they seem. These are just some of the thoughts we have while on tour.

1. G-O-O-D-M-O-R-N-I-N-G

As soon as you meet your tour for the day you have to give them the perfect welcome. This is the base of your tour. This is a great way to see how they are going to respond for the rest of the tour, so make sure you nail it!

2. Getting them excited.

We have to remind them that this is a new beginning. The world they are used to is about to change. We not only have to get the students excited but also their families.

3. Telling them what you are involved in.

School is not just about an education. You have so many opportunities to tell them what else your school offers. This is your chance to brag about yourself and all of your accomplishments. We just act like we do not like the attention.

4. Golf carts.

We have a love-hate relationship with these things. They are awesome when you get to drive wherever you need to go. But pedestrians are the biggest struggle. So are sidewalks. Also rules are complicated. Maybe golf carts are not so much fun...

5. Talking about the little things.

We know just about everything our campus has to offer. We also know some pretty random facts that do not always need to be mentioned. But we are always willing to share our knowledge. Even if it is about the garbage cans on campus.

6. Sometimes we get distracted,

We give tours pretty often, and at some point they blend into one another. Sorry if we repeat the same thing twice. Or four times. I promise we care!

7. Taking a break.

Walking is very tiring. Especially in the middle of summer. We take breaks for your safety, but also for our own benefit.

8. Adventures.

Tours are not all the same. Each person gives it a different way and sometimes there are unavoidable problems. Like almost driving the golf cart through wet cement. These are the things we always remember and hopefully it makes a funny story.

9.Walking backwards.

This is a skill that has taken a lot of practice. We may look calm, but we are always worried about what me may run into, trip over, or step in. It is an art in itself that is never really appreciated.

10. Pointing.

We do not point with one finger. We point with two fingers or an open hand. This is very important.

11. Elevated Surfaces

When we stop in front of a building to talk about it, we have to make sure everyone can see and hear us. So we will usually step up on a bench, chair, wall, stairs or anything that makes us a little taller. Personally, I do not like heights so I am always worried. Thank God I am over six feet tall.

12. Tag-a-longs.

It is always super awkward when students jump in on our tours. But we have to keep moving forward. So well just smile and wave.

13. Smile.

It does not matter how our day is going, we must always have a smile... even in awkward situations. So this may be why we tell so many awkward jokes. But it makes our face hurt sometimes.

14. Instagram followers.

Instagram followers are always nice. But we have to watch what we post. It is great to see if your guest chose your university, or just to check and see how the students are doing. So we will always give our tours the chance to follow us on social media, because we might just post a group photo on it at some point. #TeamFollowBack

15. Seeing them in public.

Seeing people from tour in public is kind of weird. It can either be really cool because you remember them, or awkward because you do not. Either way, I will probably act like I remember you and ask how you are doing.

Being a tour guide can be one of the most rewarding experiences. You learn so much about your university, get some cool insider information and sometimes get free food. No two tours are alike, and you will always walk away with a story or two to talk about with your friends.