15 Thoughts I Had On My First Day With 'Pokemon Go'

Gotta catch 'em all.

7
Youtube.com

The anticipation I had built up for the official "Pokemon Go" launch was huge. As a way to try to avoid all of the first day madness, I waited a few days before actually downloading it. I was hoping that the excitement would still be there, but that the servers would be able to handle all of the traffic from both the newer players and the players who started on day one. There wasn't a lot of instruction on what to do or how to do it, but I figured it out quickly, as I'm sure many other people did before me. The idea that I was about to go out into the world and conquer both my step count for the day and some Pokemon was really exciting, and honestly, it still is. It's awesome to be able to have something from my childhood working its way into my adult life. I had so many thoughts on the game during my first day with it. Here a few of those thoughts:

1. This is really kid-friendly.

I am actually debating this one in my head. It may have seemed kid-friendly at first, but what about the kids who live in towns full of super creepy people? What if a child gets kidnapped because of this game? Maybe this should be one of those games where you should have a parent with you or an older sibling unless you're old enough to wander around on your own.

2. "Our servers are experiencing issues. Please come back later." Why?!

I just wanna play a little, that's all. No, but really, the server has been acting up almost all day today. I know that it is because so may people are trying to play and that it is overloading everything, but all day seems a little ridiculous.

3. Why do I keep having to log in?

If you log into the game using Google like I did, you may have had to log into the game every single time you open the app. Another player posted in the app reviews that if you download the Google app and log in, you won't have to log into the game every time. This may seem kind of annoying because you have to download another app, but it's one less obstacle to get in your way while you're trying to play.

4. It seems a little shady to go stand by the fire department for this....

One of the spots to visit in my town is the fire department, and with everything that has been happening with law enforcement and with how awkward people are in this town, I really don't want to go stand by the fire department for a few moments. I will be avoiding that one for now.

5. ....but the library seems a little less weird!

The library in my hometown also had a little blurb, so that was definitely a place to stop at. I also needed to check the status of my library card, so this helped me kill two birds with one very fun little stone. I also took my grandma with me on this one, so she got to be part of the adventure!

6. Oh, hey! We just passed something!

We were driving along while we were out on errands and managed to stumble across a Pidgey! I caught it before we got too far away from it, and my grandma got to see that, too. She thinks it's funny that I am running around looking for "little characters."

7. If there are so many Pokemon here, I wonder how many there are in bigger places.

I have already seen like 12 Pokemon in my town. Just on the first day. Our town has one stoplight and is surrounded by farms on almost every side. That's a lot more than I thought it was going to be, but I'm not complaining.

8. My character is running...

While we were driving, I opened the game to check on the status of the server. For a few minutes, it logged me in just fine. In those few minutes, I noticed that my character was running, which is hilarious because we were going 60 miles per hour on the highway. It was more than a little entertaining to see the features the game has.

9. There is a Pikachu somewhere nearby...

Just randomly opening the app up while we were running errands turned out to be a really fun experience. The game actually shows you what kind of Pokemon are nearby, and we passed a Zubat, a Ratata and a Pikachu! The little shape just popped up in the bar and I freaked out. Like hey! A Pikachu!

10. This will be awesome when I travel.

I don't travel as much as I would like, but I have to drive an hour and a half to get to school, we run errands all the time, and I am currently considering going on a trip to Cincinnati. All of the stops I make on our random outings let me have great opportunities to find Pokemon around town and across a few state lines every now and then.

11. I need to find an Eevee and a Snorlax!

I'm sure everyone who is playing is looking forward to finding their favorite Pokemon wandering around, and I am no exception. Pokemon has been a cool thing forever, from playing with my older sister when I was younger to watching the series on Netflix with my best friend, it has always been a major thing around where I live.

12. My phone is dying...

Battery low. Battery low. Battery low. I'm kind of sad that the app kills battery so fast, especially since it isn't working full-time right now. That's one sure-fire way to kill the player demographic. Having to charge my phone nonstop because of a game will likely get old very fast. I may invest in a portable charger.

13. The app's block is really cute.

It's just a little Pokeball and some stars, but it is really cute. You know what it is immediately, which I love, but I think that it is absolutely awesome. It could be because we have all waited for so long, but I just think it is awesome.

14. Please stop freezing.

I was just about to capture a Ratata today and it just kind of stopped moving. I tapped on my screen; nothing. I hit my home button; nothing. Eventually I had to hard-restart my phone which took forever and slowed my phone down considerably, but it had to be done. Then when I tried to reopen the app, the server was down gain.

15. This would be cool to do with friends or on a date.

When I woke up this morning, I found out that last night a few old friends met up in a group and went around town together trying to find Pokemon. Among them were a few couples, and it got me thinking about how fun it would be to run around with friends or a boyfriend and look for Pokemon together. It would be a fun date to go on and a fun time to catch up with friends.